Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,293 Posts
Well that depends where you live! I have rubber trees where I am but gosh, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the processing of natural rubber because the smell is really unpleasant... processing rubber isn't rocket science, but you'd only get it to a raw sheets... and that's still not ready to be used as bands... For.me, I'd go back to my childhood of using the inner tubes of tyres or combining chains of rubber bands to put something together. Of course, it would never perform as well as the modern elastics we use now. I hope we never run out... I'd probably hoard elastics if I thought there was a risk

· Registered
1,293 Posts
I think that natural elastics degenerate with age. Do you know how to cultivate rubber trees? How easy is it to immigrate there?
I have not cultivated rubber trees but I understand they are not difficult, a lot easier than oil palm and some grow wild... and you can find it throughout the tropics.

And yes, natural rubber degenerates with age and UV exposure. It's a protein that makes it elastic and that will breakdown over time. Processed rubber usually contain additives and stabilisers to prolong.

And when there isn't any rubber, in a survival situation, you could always make a bow and arrows or you could fashion a blowpipe... There are other options for projectile weapons capable of taking game...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.