Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
could be, thanks

This may not pertain but are you tying the pouches too tight? I'm moved on to tubes so with a Chinese cuff method I don't have any of those problems anymore. I have kind of forgot all the hints and tricks after months of being away from bands.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, but I think I will make a set no taper and see. Thanks

Are you shooting tapered bands? Tapers almost always break at the pouch. Straight cuts will last longer. Do you need to use tapers? I almost never shoot tapers.

If you miss match ammo to bands you will shorten band life.

As Vince mentioned tubes last much longer.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
I have tied hundreds of bands as tight as I can and always pulled the bands as tight as possible as part of the process. I have never had a failure at the knot. They have all failed near the pouch.
A rotary cutter that isn't razor sharp can contribute. They make sharpeners for them.
Over the last six months I've been shooting Chinese bands with far less breakage. Better rubber than TBG?

·
Registered
73 Posts
It only takes a very small nick in the band and it will eventually fail. It was depressing to see your favourate band set not last as long as you thought only to make another set up again, thats why i changed to tubes, i still have the same tubes which i made a couple of years ago, still going strong. I did think about getting thicker bands like pallet bands and exercise bands which are not wafer thin and giving them a try, adding a taper like normal bands, see how long they last, anyone tried thicker bands.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
It only takes a very small nick in the band and it will eventually fail. It was depressing to see your favourate band set not last as long as you thought only to make another set up again, thats why i changed to tubes, i still have the same tubes which i made a couple of years ago, still going strong. I did think about getting thicker bands like pallet bands and exercise bands which are not wafer thin and giving them a try, adding a taper like normal bands, see how long they last, anyone tried thicker bands.
Thick bands are much slower.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I shoot mostly tapers because i like the more speed/less draw weight factor but I'll run a straight cut the same way like if i do a 3/4" straight cut and a 3/4"-1/2" in my .6 I'll shoot the same ammo with both just depends what i want out of a particular band set speed/power or longevity and i tie mine like Winnie i pull enduring tight and then tie but they always break near the pouch for the most part though the straight cuts have more variability because they could get nicks or stress damage or holes and tear anywhere i live my tubes too like Vince said not alot of problems there

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yes agreed with everyone else breaks before the knot then it just sends the snapped band flying out like i just let a shot go but I'm still standing there holding the other band with my ball in the pouch and usually the first thing that comes to mind ( after having a sketchy break on a straight cut and a butterfly band pulling out at the fork and almost taking out my eye) i think to myself "atleast it wasn't my face and thank God for safety glasses"

·
Registered
534 Posts
For safety reasons alone A'll always yaise tapers ower straights, A really dont get straights..slower, bulkier knoats. I think tapers, bein' less fiddly & easier tae make, are mibbe more economical in the long run.

The couple o breks A've hud hiv always been in front o the knoat, I inspect b4 shooting & tend tae replace if A notice oanythin a bit dicky.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.