Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Do you guys adjust your anchor point to use your actual fork tip corner or do you shoot along the band edge? I've been shooting band edge for a while regardless of the frame, but a friend of mine uses fork corner and lowers his anchor point. He's a bloody deadeye and he says he releases the split second the tip hovers over the kill zone. He's using a monstrous setup: x2 TBG 3/4"-1/4"x8" on a long fork natural launching oval lead sinkers. When he drops the hammer on doves and pigeons at 50-60 ft. they literally get launched a foot clear of their perch in a cloud of feathers. So yeah - I sort of feel like a rookie when we go shooting together lol.

Oh, I should mention he's 57 and suffers from severe arthritis . He said his manner of snap shooting was partly developed due to him getting sore hands from shooting many shots in a session, active shooting reduced this. I'm going to get him on camera one of these days when he's not looking lol..

Thanks for reading guys, any input is always welcome!

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
403 Posts
Either or. Depends on the set up and what seems to be working the best for me in the moment.

-edit

And I need a moment or two in order to aim...

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
I want to be like your friend. BUT I use band edge and what is called a 6 o'clock bead.

I cannot stand to cover my target! It was developed in my childhood with .22 cal plinkery and skeet/squirrel hunting.

I guess I might have to retrain myself. I am only 45 years old and have had total body R.A. for 40.5 years...and not exactly took easy... so a bit more active to keep the stress low on the ole fingers.

May be you could make a video of a bulleted summary of his method?

·
HOLD-FAST
451 Posts
Nothing of that....fork corner or band edge. I'm cross eye dominant. Left eye is the dominant and holding my frame in my left hand makes me unable to aim. So i shoot with both eyes open and pretty much let the shot fly when it feels right. Would call it a type of active shooting. Was accurate as a kid with that method and after years of not shooting i'm now in a learning curve and try to get better with that method again.

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
Nothing of that....fork corner or band edge. I'm cross eye dominant. Left eye is the dominant and holding my frame in my left hand makes me unable to aim. So i shoot with both eyes open and pretty much let the shot fly when it feels right. Would call it a type of active shooting. Was accurate as a kid with that method and after years of not shooting i'm now in a learning curve and try to get better with that method again.
I can shoot left or right handed (not very well these days), but do prefer both eyea open instinctive shooting.

But my dominant eye lays the band edge angle image over the target/range image.

I guess I am wing it.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want to be like your friend. BUT I use band edge and what is called a 6 o'clock bead.

I cannot stand to cover my target! It was developed in my childhood with .22 cal plinkery and skeet/squirrel hunting.

I guess I might have to retrain myself. I am only 45 years old and have had total body R.A. for 40.5 years...and not exactly took easy... so a bit more active to keep the stress low on the ole fingers.

May be you could make a video of a bulleted summary of his method?
Thanks everyone for your input, & pat I believe I'll do that. He's quite something to watch, lip full of chewing tobacco, old dirty trucker hat tipped back, reminds me of Rufus Hussey but tall and lanky lol. Says things like 'Watch me send this pill' (which is where I got the term lol) he's something else.

Thanks for the afternoon project, also that video of cocktail tubes should be up this evening just waiting for mid day peak to slow down lol.

Reactions: MOJAVE MO

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I shoot with both eys open and dont really consciously "aim" any more. I kinda shoot a hybrid style which is a little hard to explain. I think im subconciously aiming because i repeat the same form as i used to when sighting down the bands and using fork tip...anchoring is the same but now that i shoot with both eyes open it seems to happen more instinctively....i just point and shoot...
I can move my anchor anywhere and my holding hand just seems to know where to adjust to...
But i wouldnt call it instinctive either...cause i have to adjust everything when i shoot a different size frame...

I seem to miss more often if i try to aim, now that i shoot this way....but my accuracy and consistency is better with this weird style compared to before..

This seems to be even more relevant when im hunting...as i dont have much time to aim...so i think its a shooting style that i adopted out of neccessity...

Great topic

MW

Sent from my LG-M470 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I shoot with both eys open and dont really consciously "aim" any more. I kinda shoot a hybrid style which is a little hard to explain. I think im subconciously aiming because i repeat the same form as i used to when sighting down the bands and using fork tip...anchoring is the same but now that i shoot with both eyes open it seems to happen more instinctively....i just point and shoot...
I can move my anchor anywhere and my holding hand just seems to know where to adjust to...
But i wouldnt call it instinctive either...cause i have to adjust everything when i shoot a different size frame...

I seem to miss more often if i try to aim, now that i shoot this way....but my accuracy and consistency is better with this weird style compared to before..

This seems to be even more relevant when im hunting...as i dont have much time to aim...so i think its a shooting style that i adopted out of neccessity...

Great topic

MW

You should make a video of yourself taking a few shots a time different ranges so we can see your method. :)

Reactions: MikmaqWarrior

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

Great topic

MW

You should make a video of yourself taking a few shots a time different ranges so we can see your method. :)

I will but it probably wont do any good cause i get nervous and can't shoot worth sh!t on camera...lol...
I'm starting to get used to it but it still gets inside my head and can be frustrating. Most of the time i will warm up beforehand and dont miss at all...until my wife clicks record and that little ding sounds...then it's like i just started learning how to shoot slingshot...lol
Its as if i start trying to aim when the camera is on me...and i hesitate...and overthink.
.when i normally wouldn't think about the shot at all....and it can throw my shots off...

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I aim with both eyes open and use the corner of the fork tip (gangsta style hold). I prefer narrow frames so I can anchor on various parts of my ear for different distances. Top of ear flap, middle of ear flap, bottom of ear hole, ear lobe and bottom end of ear lobe. For 20 yards I can usually anchor on the ear flap (tragus). I prefer to aim at the bottom of a golfball or center of a pop can.... or center of a pie plate for long 40-50 yard shots. I prefer to consciously aim but sometimes go into instinctive mode (subconscious aiming) when doing repetitive shots at the same distance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.