Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in the different methods of making band grooves for a slingshot. For ours we have used my dremel but sometimes it will slip and cut into the top of the slingshot which can be very frustrating!
so i was wondering how the more experienced makers approach this difficult but important part of the slingshot.

thanks for the advice in advance!

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I use a rat tail file and a half round file, I believe some one said they use a chainsaw sharpened.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
I use a fine toothed Dremel saw on a Dremel router table to cut the grooves, establish the depth and set the depth and then a square Vallorbe Swiss needle file to clean up. I am looking for a thicker blade to do it all in one pass.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
I mark around each fork with a pencil, two lines 1/8" apart. Then I follow the lines with a very sharp knife. I then make this into a shallow v-cut with my knife. Then I grab a chainsaw file and carefully follow this v-groove until I get the desired depth.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I first measure and mark with pencil where I want the groove. I make the first cut with a fine triangular file, then use a 1/4 inch rattail, and finish up with a 3/8 inch rat tail.
I do the same (triangular followed by .25" rat tail), except I finish up with a fine tooth .25" round file.

edit: to answer your question, USASlingshot, you could certainly do that, but you'd be surprised how fast the work goes with just a coarse rat tail. Make sure you wear some leather gloves when you're filing to make the work more comfy (and faster as a result).

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks, in these past few weeks everyone have really showed alot of interest in our buisness. i would like to thank everyone for helping us improve our slingshots. we couldnt have done it without u

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Rat tail file does the best job in my opinion. Only takes a few extra minutes but it's always clean and no worries of slippage.

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,426 Posts
small, cylindrical file all the way!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts