Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Band Length?
What is your band length from fork to pouch?
5 inches51.93%
6 inches3915.06%
7 inches7930.50%
8 inches7729.73%
9 inches3011.58%
10 inches2911.20%

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just curious what others shoot for band length. I've been doing quite a bit of testing on rubber, and i have a hunch that a lot of people are leavign some potential band energy on the table.

·
"Mighty Can Smiter"
4,302 Posts
I didn't vote yet since I use a couple of lengths, depending on my shooter, but I am curious on more info on "potential band energy on the table"

Thanks

LGD

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
I adjust my band length for different shooting conditions, but cut too short and you leave a lot of band life on the table! -- Tex

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I adjust my band length for different shooting conditions, but cut too short and you leave a lot of band life on the table! -- Tex
certainly!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Duck i just mean that i think a lot of people are shooting bands that are longer than they need to be. But i also agree 100% with Tex, that if you make them too short, not only will the bands feel funny (stack at the end of the draw) but life will be shortened.

·
Super Moderator
5,190 Posts
I voted 9 inches, but like Tex and others, the actual length varies. For instance, when a bend lets go at the pouch, I cut and retie. All of the slingshots I sell or give away are tied at 9 inches because that seems to be the best length for compromise between velocity and band life. I use Theraband Tubes on bent rods, and either Alliance Sterling #107 rubber bands or .050 food grade latex (personal use only) on board cuts and naturals.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
As above, my band lengths vary a lot, I opted with 8" on the vote because I would think that's about my average cut... considering different thickness, and or layers of bands, but generally match bands to ammo I'm shooting...

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
I divide my draw length by four, but to be able to retie, a person could start by dividing draw length by 3.7 I guess or even 3.5 for two reties. I use a straight length of rubber, nothing fancy. With my 28 inch draw, I just go from tie to tie with seven inches and change bands when they look like they need to be changed. I don't like to keep shooting until they break.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I voted at 9", but were we talking about band length *before* they get attached to forks, or from pouch to where it comes over (or through) the forks? My bands vary from catty to catty,...some are at 9, some at 8 1/2, and some at 8. Also depends on if I'm using a picklefork or not. Like Henry, when a band goes out at the pouch I cut and retie.....but I've never gone under 7 inches. I've gotten a few tube sets that were 5 to 5 1/2 inches from Ebay Hong Kong dealers....a bit short for my liking, but man they are freaking fast.

·
Over 9001 Warning Points!
2,089 Posts
I cut 30/20 mm tapers at 10" for singles. 9" effective length. I pull about 48". Not standard but works for me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Depends on the rubber. 7-7.5 inches with office bands, depending on their length, was my last set-up.

Following Henry's findings on 1842 tubing, my current arrangement is a 4:3 ratio of loop: single strand with a band length of 7 inches (down from 7.5). Next trial will be 6.5 inches finished length from fork to pouch knot divided by 1.62 to give a golden ratio of 4:2.5 inches and see how long that holds up to a draw of 33 inches.

Just had a bit of a play and measured my draw. It's now 35.5 inches so I think I'll stick with 7 inch bands for the longevity. That's 4:3 inch tapers for light ammo and 7 inch straight loops for heavier stuff.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts