Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If one of my bands starts going bad, fraying, tearing, etc, and the other band is fine, should I go ahead and replace both bands in pairs or just replace the single band that is going band. I've noticed that quite often the other band looks fine but you can tell a noticeable in the elasticity of new bands vs used bands.

·
Ray Rowden
3,086 Posts
Damage is usually apparent on one band in a pair. And usually, the damage is near the pouch.

If that is the case, the thrifty among us cut both bands to the same length, just short of the damage. We then retie the pouch to the shortened bands. If the damage is not near the pouch remove them both. They might be cut up to use as ties.

But when it's time to replace one, replace with a matched pair.

·
So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)
4,272 Posts
Just because you can't see the damage doesn't mean it is not there. That one good looking band may have lost a lot of its stretch? I always change both of them, and after a month or so of shooting if my tube set starts to look old I will chuck it. For me a month of shooting is probably close to 600+- shots.

If they look good I will keep on going, but I do always check for any torn or warn spots. If I see that, the tube set is history, I will usually save the pouch as I have never had a pouch give way. but if that looks funky, that too is gone.

wll

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.