Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many band or tube sets do you have made up. I always have at least 3 tube sets and 4 flat band sets made up. So my shooting isn't interrupted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I usually have two frames banded up, so in case of band failure, if I can't shorten the bands anymore, I just switch frames.
There are two rolls of gzk 1mm in the refrigerator though.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
There are always some band sets ready if one fails.

The question is how many of what I prefer to shoot are made up. At least two usually covers me as I don't shoot as much as I used to. Then there are always some band sets that are not my preferred but enjoy shooting if it comes to using them so I don't have to make some just to continue shooting.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Wow, I wish I could give a true answer, but can't.

Within the past year, I've been trying out various elastics that have been available. I'd make a couple band sets here, a couple band sets there. I have a drawer full of band sets of different colored latex, tapers, and pouches. I also have a small fishing tackle box full of pre-cut bands ready for the making.

About the only thing I'm sure about, is when I go hiking on the trails. I always have two extra band sets just in case.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Usually three single sets and since I received some 1636 from you I two looped sets of tubes

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
1 tube set...
4 or 5 band sets...

Reactions: Tag

·
Registered
745 Posts
About 20 loop tubes because I can't break what I don't use so the quantity does not drop.

I generally make 6 sets of flats at a time but often get down to only a couple before I force myself to tie 6 more so I guess my count on flats is a variable from 2 to 9.

Reserve is 8 or 9 right after I tie a batch and 3 to as low as 2 before I tie another batch. It makes for a crappy shooting session to have to stop shooting and drag out the tying tools. For me, if I had a failure with no reserve at all my shooting session would be over for the day. Stopping in the middle of a session to replace them is bad enough.

I just changed bands tonight in the middle of a session and noted after grabbing a new set to replace the broken band, my "go to" sets are down to three so I'll probably tie up another 6 after work tomorrow before I start shooting. Tonight's band failure was the band snapping without warning. They have always started with a small tear or even a small hole anywhere from 1/8" to a maximum of 1/2" from the pouch tie. In almost all cases I will notice something is off and spot the beginning of the tear before total failure but that was not the case tonight. It simply snapped without any noticeable warning. It was about 1/4" away from the tie point as is almost always the case. In all the time I have been shooting I have only had a single taper cut band snap where the failure was at mid band. That was on a slingshot that came banded from the maker and I suspect it had something wrong with it I didn't see or the latex was old. Virtually all the failures I have had with tapers started no farther than a half inch from the pouch tie point.

I admit do not enjoy tying bands but it's just one of the things you have to do if you plan to keep shooting. At some point I am going to force myself to tie about 20 to 30 sets for reserve but it's not going to be on a week day.

For the past couple of months I have been shooting exclusively indoors and an average of 600 shots per evening. I don't count them but keep a bowl of 300 and shoot it twice into my catch barrel. At this rate I'm going through band sets pretty quickly no matter who's elastic I am using. If I were buying pre-made sets it would stress my wallet pretty bad so tying my own became a necessity.

I know Lynatex requires more pull force to get the same velocity as Latex but it's temping to give it a try. I think I'll get some from Simple Shot on my next order to see just how bad it is. The thought of double the band life sure makes it tempting to try it.

Reactions: Alfred E.M.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I usually have two frames banded up, so in case of band failure, if I can't shorten the bands anymore, I just switch frames.
Does storing elastic in a refrigerator help preserve it? I just keep it in a cool , not cold place in a fairly airtight plastic box and in a dark closet. If keeping it in the refrigerator makes a huge difference inquiring minds want to know and I'm curious about myself. It's not like I would get totally drunk and make a cheese sandwich out of it or anything.

·
Registered
977 Posts
About 20 loop tubes because I can't break what I don't use so the quantity does not drop.
I generally make 6 sets of flats at a time but often get down to only a couple before I force myself to tie 6 more so I guess my count on flats is a variable from 2 to 9.
Reserve is 8 or 9 right after I tie a batch and 3 to as low as 2 before I tie another batch. It makes for a crappy shooting session to have to stop shooting and drag out the tying tools. For me, if I had a failure with no reserve at all my shooting session would be over for the day. Stopping in the middle of a session to replace them is bad enough.
I just changed bands tonight in the middle of a session and noted after grabbing a new set to replace the broken band, my "go to" sets are down to three so I'll probably tie up another 6 after work tomorrow before I start shooting. Tonight's band failure was the band snapping without warning. They have always started with a small tear or even a small hole anywhere from 1/8" to a maximum of 1/2" from the pouch tie. In almost all cases I will notice something is off and spot the beginning of the tear before total failure but that was not the case tonight. It simply snapped without any noticeable warning. It was about 1/4" away from the tie point as is almost always the case. In all the time I have been shooting I have only had a single taper cut band snap where the failure was at mid band. That was on a slingshot that came banded from the maker and I suspect it had something wrong with it I didn't see or the latex was old. Virtually all the failures I have had with tapers started no farther than a half inch from the pouch tie point.
I admit do not enjoy tying bands but it's just one of the things you have to do if you plan to keep shooting. At some point I am going to force myself to tie about 20 to 30 sets for reserve but it's not going to be on a week day.
For the past couple of months I have been shooting exclusively indoors and an average of 600 shots per evening. I don't count them but keep a bowl of 300 and shoot it twice into my catch barrel. At this rate I'm going through band sets pretty quickly no matter who's elastic I am using. If I were buying pre-made sets it would stress my wallet pretty bad so tying my own became a necessity.
I know Lynatex requires more pull force to get the same velocity as Latex but it's temping to give it a try. I think I'll get some from Simple Shot on my next order to see just how bad it is. The thought of double the band life sure makes it tempting to try it.
Are you looking for a home for those looped tube sets, Five?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Does storing elastic in a refrigerator help preserve it? I just keep it in a cool , not cold place in a fairly airtight plastic box and in a dark closet. If keeping it in the refrigerator makes a huge difference inquiring minds want to know and I'm curious about myself. It's not like I would get totally drunk and make a cheese sandwich out of it or anything.
To be honest I don't know for sure if it does add longevity to the latex. In theory it should, as latex is an organic material, breaking down inevitably as time passed by.
There are other members who already store them similarly to me, the idea is not mine but borrowed.
Maybe someone could chime in and inform us in a more definite manner?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Are you looking for a home for those looped tube sets, Five?
They all came with SPSs I bought from Jim Harris so I need to hang on to them for the slingshots they came with. I have them stored very well so I'm hoping they last long enough for me to get around to using them as I eventually would. I've just been shooting flats only for the past couple of months. If I hear anything more positive about storing elastic in the fridge that's where they will live.

Reactions: SlingNerd

·
Registered
745 Posts
To be honest I don't know for sure if it does add longevity to the latex. In theory it should, as latex is an organic material, breaking down inevitably as time passed by.
There are other members who already store them similarly to me, the idea is not mine but borrowed.
Thanks Brother, I'm willing to try just about anything as my current stock of rolls of elastic is exceeding the speed at which I can use it and I need them to stay fresh as long as possible. It's times like this I'm glad I'm single with no wife to go off if on me I fill all the spare room in the refrigerator with rolls of elastic. Anyone else familiar with this by all means chime in.

·
679 Post Club
3,015 Posts
Yeah, refrigeration is a legit tactic. Rubber powered model aeroplane guys are *very* serious about rubber quality and have had known prime batches cool stored to save for world championships use only. Apparently there was a batch made in 1997 that is still better than anything produced since, even after 20 years refrigerated. Another thing they do is not store rubber in contact with a plastic bag. Paper and cardboard only.

To the main question....

I have up to 10 untied band pairs on hand and my tying jig handy, but no spare bands already tied up. I'm getting 1-300 shots out of Sanctband, so the break to re-tie is not too frequent. With TBG I've had bands last 1-2,000 shots and pouches that have done well over 10,000 shots and still going, so retying hasn't been an undue interruption to my shooting. I do tend to re-use the same pouch over and over, so can't really have spare bands tied on a pouch I'm still using ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah, refrigeration is a legit tactic. Rubber powered model aeroplane guys are *very* serious about rubber quality and have had known prime batches cool stored to save for world championships use only. Apparently there was a batch made in 1997 that is still better than anything produced since, even after 20 years refrigerated. Another thing they do is not store rubber in contact with a plastic bag. Paper and cardboard only.

To the main question....

I have up to 10 untied band pairs on hand and my tying jig handy, but no spare bands already tied up. I'm getting 1-300 shots out of Sanctband, so the break to re-tie is not too frequent. With TBG I've had bands last 1-2,000 shots and pouches that have done well over 10,000 shots and still going, so retying hasn't been an undue interruption to my shooting. I do tend to re-use the same pouch over and over, so can't really have spare bands tied on a pouch I'm still using ;)
I think there is a more sensible solution than buying separate refrigerators just for bands. People should buy only as many bands as they can use before they get ruined. :)

·
Registered
745 Posts

To the main question....

I think there is a more sensible solution than buying separate refrigerators just for bands. People should buy only as many bands as they can use before they get ruined. :)
Agreed but I am a helpless elastic hoarder. That is especially true when I find a half price deal. I think I can fit all mine in the one fridge I have and still have room for food. I should be able to get my current stock used up before I get any appreciable deterioration. My biggest loss would be there will probably be products available in the next year or two that makes my stock all but obsolete before I get it all used. It's getting better all the time. Not very long ago most of us though TBG was as good as it gets but today I wouldn't take a roll if it were free. Fortunately almost all my stock of TBG was almost used by the time I found out better is available so it did all get put to use.

·
Registered
109 Posts

To the main question....

Agreed but I am a helpless elastic hoarder. That is especially true when I find a half price deal. I think I can fit all mine in the one fridge I have and still have room for food. I should be able to get my current stock used up before I get any appreciable deterioration. My biggest loss would be there will probably be products available in the next year or two that makes my stock all but obsolete before I get it all used. It's getting better all the time. Not very long ago most of us though TBG was as good as it gets but today I wouldn't take a roll if it were free. Fortunately almost all my stock of TBG was almost used by the time I found out better is available so it did all get put to use.
I read among other comments about the "TBG is not so good anymore" and "there are a lot of much better options now" thing. But I could not find exact reasons, experience behind these statements. Could you give me some additional information about it, please? E.g. what are the exact problems with TBG and what are the better options/band tipes? I am not so well informed like other forum members. Thanks for the answers in advance.

·
aka CYBORG
2,060 Posts
When latex first debuted, it was called living rubber. It is an organic product and common sense says refrigeration is probably beneficial. However, my everlovin' thinks the kitchen is her domain (it is) and since we don't have a second cold box, storing it in boxes in a closet is the best I can do. I expected the extreme Vegas heat to take a toll on my stash but so far, it hasn't been a problem thanks to near constant AC in the summer. I have had two batches of tubing arrive in an already deteriorated, shredded condition but I attribute that to poor Malaysian QC.

https://slingshotforum.com/topic/45461-cold-storage/

Reactions: ShootnCoastie
1 - 20 of 37 Posts