Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen several pictures of various band to pouch tying jigs. Now that I want one, of course I can't find one. If you have one, or have a unique way of connecting bands to pouches or forks, show it off to us please.

·
Registered
106 Posts
mines not that fancy just a couple wood blocks and some C clamps i use on the edge of my desk. I use a scrap piece of leather between the clamp and the end of the bands when i clamp it down. Here's a quick pic.

·
Cogito Ergo Armatum Sum
1,014 Posts
I understand why one might need to use both hands if tying constrictor knots in string, but if you are using strips of elastic, it's very easy to do using a single attachment point. It can be as simple as a nail driven into the edge of a table, or I use a simple spring clamp on the left hand edge of the keyboard tray on my desk. Clamp the body of the pouch with the hole over the edge. insert the rubber through the hole and fold over. hold in left hand with the end of the tie strip under your left thumb. apply tension to the doubled material and wrap the strip around the bands, overlapping the end you were holding with your thumb. Keep some tension on the strip but not necessarily as tight as you can. after enough wraps to hold (depends on how thick the tie strip you are using is, move your thumb up and wrap 5 or 6 times around your thumb as tight as you can. Tuck the end under your thumb and roll the wraps off the end of your thumb to cover the free end. trim and test. Takes about 1 minute each side if you have everything handy.

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
I understand why one might need to use both hands if tying constrictor knots in string, but if you are using strips of elastic, it's very easy to do using a single attachment point. It can be as simple as a nail driven into the edge of a table, or I use a simple spring clamp on the left hand edge of the keyboard tray on my desk. Clamp the body of the pouch with the hole over the edge. insert the rubber through the hole and fold over. hold in left hand with the end of the tie strip under your left thumb. apply tension to the doubled material and wrap the strip around the bands, overlapping the end you were holding with your thumb. Keep some tension on the strip but not necessarily as tight as you can. after enough wraps to hold (depends on how thick the tie strip you are using is, move your thumb up and wrap 5 or 6 times around your thumb as tight as you can. Tuck the end under your thumb and roll the wraps off the end of your thumb to cover the free end. trim and test. Takes about 1 minute each side if you have everything handy.
thats a wicked idea,im gonna give this a whirl,thanks

·
Prince of Paraprosdokians and Epistemophilia
2,565 Posts
They all look very effective and simple to replicate.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
383 Posts
mines not that fancy just a couple wood blocks and some C clamps i use on the edge of my desk. I use a scrap piece of leather between the clamp and the end of the bands when i clamp it down. Here's a quick pic.

This is truly simple to the extreme. I have ordered toggle clamps but in the mean time I can use this. I may even put the toggle clamps on blocks and use the clamps to hold the blocks in place. I play with pouch lengths and this is the solution to my problems. With this method I can do both side at one time. Great idea.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey ... Thanks for the tips and pictures. With these, there is no reason for anyone not to have an assist when tying bands. Not closing the topic down, if you just got here and can add to ideas, please do. Like the idea of being able to change for different band lengths. I'm sure other members who have my problem will take advantage of these ideas.

Thanks ! Al

·
Registered
383 Posts
Here is my pouch jig I just finished. The toggle clamps came from Harbor Freight at $4.00 ea and you will not believe the freight charges, $3.00. I cannot believe a company today offers such reasonable shipping charges. It works great, simple to do, fast to adjust and can be put up fast. Thanks to this thread which gave me the idea.

Attachments

Reactions: leon13

·
Prince of Paraprosdokians and Epistemophilia
2,565 Posts
Here is my pouch jig I just finished. The toggle clamps came from Harbor Freight at $4.00 ea and you will not believe the freight charges, $3.00. I cannot believe a company today offers such reasonable shipping charges. It works great, simple to do, fast to adjust and can be put up fast. Thanks to this thread which gave me the idea.
I am working on fabricating a couple of PFSs today and I was just at the point where I wanted to check out the pouch clamping jigs I had seen previously on the forum (was going to use the search box to find them), when, lo and behold, there was your e-mail just waiting for me to open the post without having to search. Is this Karma, or what???

Toggle clamps. Cool. I'm using a couple of their C-clamps today to get today's project finished, but the toggle clamps might be even better, and there's a HB store about a mile away : )

Thanks my friend.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I am working on fabricating a couple of PFSs today and I was just at the point where I wanted to check out the pouch clamping jigs I had seen previously on the forum (was going to use the search box to find them), when, lo and behold, there was your e-mail just waiting for me to open the post without having to search. Is this Karma, or what???

Toggle clamps. Cool. I'm using a couple of their C-clamps today to get today's project finished, but the toggle clamps might be even better, and there's a HB store about a mile away : )

Thanks my friend.
[/quote]

That is why a thread like this should never be allowed to die. Every once in a while someone should post something in here to keep it in view of new people coming in or someone deciding they want a jig and don't have to go through the process of having to search. Somebody in here is always coming up with something newer and better.

Reactions: Reddog

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well a bit of time has passed and I did make a pouch to band tying jig. I saw one somewhat similar at one point and stopped thinking about it and just did it. Thanks for the input.

Not letting the thread die so that new ideas can be added sounds good to me. Let's try it.

Al Toy Wood Rectangle Font Table

Attachments

Reactions: leon13

·
Registered
383 Posts
Well a bit of time has passed and I did make a pouch to band tying jig. I saw one somewhat similar at one point and stopped thinking about it and just did it. Thanks for the input.

Not letting the thread die so that new ideas can be added sounds good to me. Let's try it.

Al View attachment 11426
That is one great looking jig. It gave me an an idea for another one. It would be nice if one side could move left to right to adjust for the different pouches that I use.

Reactions: daveee88

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rubberpower: I do have an adjustment feature built in. It is simple, but will work. The base has two pre-drilled holes, the upper mount has 3 pre-drilled holes equally spaced apart. To lengthen the distance between them, remove the two screws from the base, then move the upper mounting using the two holes that will effectively place the clamps further apart. One or both can be moved to increase the distance, and if it were necessary, the mount could be moved so that only one screw held it which would make the distance very wide.

I also glued a cross hatched, rubber mat on the bottom so the jig will not slide. The last thing I did was to drill a hole in the side of the base, centered between the clamps. This hole accepts and is a receiver for a table clamp, exactly like the ones that hold a desk mounted magnifying glass or light over a work area. This stops the movement of the jig when I am violently tying a pouch on.

I'll get a picture or two and post them.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Thank you for sharing that information. That is a well thought out jig.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts