Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
Lots of variables in the question. If you're set up is matched well with your ammo the bands will last longer than if they are overpowered.
The best thing for us is the fact that bands are cheap.
When I start seeing hand oils start showing up near the pouch I go ahead and change. Plus there's always a new set up that needs to be tested out anyway.
Modern bands last plenty long. Imo

·
Super Moderator
5,204 Posts
Not the question you asked, but this is my experience with how long various bands last, longest to shortest life.

1. Alliance Sterling #107

2. Small tubes (Dankung 2040, 1842, 1745)

3. TheraBand Tubes (Green, Red, Yellow)

4. Natural flat latex

5. TheraBand Gold straight cut

6. Theraband Gold Taper.

I replace mine when they break or shown signs of tearing.

·
Registered
406 Posts
It's been awhile since I shot big rubber bands, but I don't remember them lasting that long... Might have to revisit those.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I normally shoot till I see a tear or they dont have the same umph they should. I know some sets last longer than others i feel if i can get at least 500 rounds it was a good set, but can usually get ~1000 per set.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Ok I normally shoot till I see a tear or they dont have the same umph they should. I know some sets last longer than others i feel if i can get at least 500 rounds it was a good set, but can usually get ~1000 per set.
I like to know how? I'm breaking bands off at the pouch after just a few shots. I have a feeling that I might be wrapping them to tight. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I like to know how? I'm breaking bands off at the pouch after just a few shots. I have a feeling that I might be wrapping them to tight. What are your thoughts?
You might be wrapping the bands too tight at the pouch or you could be shooting ammo that is too light. If the ammo isn't heavy enough to expend all the energy the band will rebound back hard against the forks causing the bands to break prematurely.

Also make sure you don't have any nicks or rough spots on your forks that can put a nick in your bands.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
For band longevity, also make sure you get an olfa rotary cutter. Those cheaper ones definitely don't .......cut it ????

Reactions: SJAaz

·
Registered
477 Posts
What are you tying with? And yeah definitely match hands to ammo. But also the latex your not using needs to stay inside or at least in a box to keep from sun degradation. And store your active use bandset out of the sun as well. Avoid fork hits holding your drawn longer then neccessary, and finally when you cut your draw length I like to cut with an extra 1/4 to 1/2 extra length depending on your slingshot this is what you will lose pulling around the forks. So with a six inch band set I'll cut 6.5 then from tip to cheek I get exactly the 31 inches draw I need.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.