Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I use bandsets that have been tied to the pouch with that plastic cable stuff, they often snap early on in their "lifespans", especially now. This never happens to bandsets that have been tied with elastic. Is anyone else finding this problem?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SamuraiSamoht It's like plastic coated string, some GZK bands are wrapped with them (and normal string too). Yes, the tightness is always way over the top. Cheers.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've been using crystal string and this fine skinny tape of late and I've got to fight the tendency to over tighten so I don't have the same problem of early pouch breaks. Especially on the lighter bands I favour with the string. When I shoot full butterfly I've even had the bands slip out of the pouch tie with the tape. Went back to using thin strips of the same band material for the full butterfly and the more manly short draw with thick bands setups. I love the crystal string though I do get premature tears if I'm too exuberant on the tie.

Circuit component Flooring Audio equipment Material property Cable

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
I like crystal string and agree with the above comments about over tightening and slipping.

I find that it is not that great for thick bands; I have some Usopp 1.1 mm and the crystal string just couldn't hold them.

I found that if I don't tie right against the pouch, but rather back off a bit, I get better results with band life.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I've managed 300 + shots with Chinese band sets ordered at Aliexpress, where the pouch is tied very tightly to the band ends with the super thin rubber stringy-stuff. They tend to leave just 5 mm extra band length beyond where stringy stuff connects the band end and pouch.

I would assume that tightness reduces movement, and thus friction = band longevity. Think of well-fitting mountain boots....fewer blisters. :D

Most of my homemade band to pouch connections were tied using thin rubber remnants for wrap & tuck, but I now mostly use the Chinese string, which is simple to use with the help of a band jig.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Whenever I use bandsets that have been tied to the pouch with that plastic cable stuff, they often snap early on in their "lifespans", especially now. This never happens to bandsets that have been tied with elastic. Is anyone else finding this problem?
Hi

I had similar problem. The reason for me was that i was using TBG which just doesn't last as long as others like GZK. Then for tying the pouch i have tried amber band, thread... but the best thing for tying the pouch in my opinion is the flat band (same as the bandset).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you're all right about the tightness. If I can risk it, I just re-tie the bands to the pouches with leftover strips of rubber using the wrap and tuck method, but only if the bandset is still even when having done so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts