Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a student of history and ended up stuck with a bunch of huge sized body jewelry.

I'm a tattooer you know, so I end up with all manner of things. I have a Zippo from an old WW1 four piper destroyer's captain a guy's dad knew. I have a piece of a meteor from South America from a bazillion years ago; a back scratcher and big ball of ABC gum. And this is all tips.

I'm not a piercer. Never learned more than ears. But I got box in the mail from another tattooer with all this huge jewelry. I mean big stuff. I gave some away, some I kept as it's the good stuff from back when and then there are the barbells…

Known colloquially as a 'tongue ring'.

Thing is these are huge and basically 3/8th shot with a pretty solid piece of surgical stainless connecting them. 3/8ths is my go to. In case you wanna buy me something for my birthday.

Back when the Spanish were fighting the British who were fighting the French and pirates ruled the seas they had bar and chain shot. Chain was made to take down rigging. If you did that the ship was dead in the water. The bar shot… that was a little more anti-personnel but could be used to tear up rope and sail too.

I have seen examples at my local museum here in Florida. We have a lot of that sort of thing around. I'm sure there are far more in the ground to be found.

I'm sitting at my desk last night looking at bands for my Mega Lo Mart Daisy platform and the Hathcock I'm getting and it dawned on me that I had bar shot. I just sat there thinking about it for a second and realized I could use this stuff in my catch box and maybe come up with a little information about how it could work.

My question are the bands.

If you have flat bands that can handle 3/8ths would there be a difference in draw and release considering the added weight? If so is there something more substantial or am I cutting my own? I've been thinking about this all day. I got into the idea of just blasting one off into my catch box with my el cheapo rig but thought I would ask those more experienced shooters since the band on that is stock.

I have a pretty good idea of what the bars will do. The tumble. For a hunter this might mean the take down of bigger game and for the guy like me who likes to see things get destroyed it seems fun.

An experiment just waiting.

So what do y'all think about it?

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Wow! This seems cool because it is... have you shot some of these and how safe is it?

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
I'm digging it. I don't know about the bands you should be using, but I love the idea! Since it's a straight bar between the balls, and not a linked chain, how are you going to shoot it? I'm envisioning pinching one ball in the pouch and having the bar and second ball pointing downrange?

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I have shot airgun darts with slings. If you just lay them in the pouch vertical and shoot, differences in mass and balance will affect the shot. If one ball is lighter than the other, the lighter will either trail or orbit the heavier. If the mass is equal, it will shoot pretty straight.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Abenso:

Thanks for the band advice. I'm new to this, in "I'm actually" trying respects. So the lug nut mention helped too. I shot one when I was in South Carolina working. This deer was eating my plants. I shot, the band broke and in the midst of that I didn't see how it traveled. Mind you I wasn't going to kill the deer. Just a swat on the a** at 20 yards to keep it away from the flowers.

MakoPat:

I have not shot any yet. I have been very busy this week. I'll letcha know. Get my long suffering wife to make a video.

MikeyLikesIt:

I'm thinking the same thing about the "how to". My first thought was to just take hold of the bar itself and let the balls out of the pouch. But after reading your post I'll give it a shot (terrible pun) your way and mine.

As to danger... I don't know if it's anymore dangerous than any other piece of flying whatnot. I was thinking it might be like the .223 round. Getting to a certain point and then tumbling, but I'm not sure yet.

flipgun:

I have some externally threaded so I'll put a lighter ball on the end of a few and try it. I literally have ton of these. Experimentation won't be too hard. Epoxy, my old friend! LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts