Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I pulled this one out of my fork stash and thought it would look cool leaving the bark on. As I cut the knots off, it had a green inner bark but was completely dry.

I thought it was Maple but the bark has a greenish tint to it and the tight bark looks really nice with a few hours in a BLO bath.

I wish I could remember where I got it so I could go get more forks.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sweet bark on beauty! I wish I could do a bark on with one of the oak forks I have but I think the bark will eventually peel off.
:thumbsup: I've found Oak bark to be pretty rough, plus the grain inside is too nice to not show!

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats a great fork my friend!!
Just for grins, look up ailanthus altissima. "The tree of heaven".the phloem (inner bark) stays green and the wood is blonde like maple.
Interesting! I don't recall seeing that tree here but then again, I don't think I've seen a leaf on any deciduous tree in the last 5 months either.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good lookin! I'd have to ask Chris, but I think that is the cambian layer of bark. You did a great job of sanding to it with out going through it.
Our resident Treeman Chris sent me a picture of a fork he had made from "Tree of Heaven" and it looks exactly the same. Our local compost site has a big pile of tree branches and it may well have come from there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts