Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right. I've just shot myself on the lowest thumb knuckle for the second time. Exactly the same place (excellent grouping!) so low and off to the right. I think I might be flinching on release but it's hard to tell. I've noticed Joerg's slingshots have a low fork and his thumbs are still in one piece so the 2.5cm clearance shouldn't be the problem. Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Alex.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
It is likely a problem with your shooting style. I have never, not once, hit any part of my hand.

Can you make a video of your shooting? Ideally from the side.

Jörg

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Which way do you shoot prongs vertical or horizontal? Or you may be moving the fork to see the shot go. Tex

·
Registered
175 Posts
my first tought, You're holding the slinghot with your thumb in the yoke. Asin between the fork ends?
Hold it like a bike handle or like the chinese shooters.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm wrapping my fist around the handle, probably twisting a bit to the right as I release. I'll fiddle around with my camera, Joerg, and see if I can record my puny efforts. Cheers folks.

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
Right. I've just shot myself on the lowest thumb knuckle for the second time. Exactly the same place (excellent grouping!) so low and off to the right. I think I might be flinching on release but it's hard to tell. I've noticed Joerg's slingshots have a low fork and his thumbs are still in one piece so the 2.5cm clearance shouldn't be the problem. Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Alex.
Dont shoot from the side. The release must like up on the same plane where the bands are secured. Dont shoot from the side, it's weird.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Don't feel too bad dgui. I've hit the lower knuckle of my index finger several times, broke the right fork off of two nice slingshots, one I broke twice, knocked the slingshot out of my hand several times,dropped a bag of marbles in my garage, the bag broke and 100 marbles went all over the garage floor. I was bent over picking some of them up and when I raised back up I hit the back of my head on the work bench and cut my head, so know I can't comb my hair on the back of my head and therefore go around looking like I just got up from a nap. This slingshot stuff is a dangerous sport.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Look at my picture, I have only shoot myself once and that was with anothers man's slingshot. However when I wing shoot, I use a different fork pattern with (taller and wider yoke.) Tex

·
Registered
286 Posts
...I've hit the lower knuckle of my index finger several times, broke the right fork off of two nice slingshots, one I broke twice, knocked the slingshot out of my hand several times,dropped a bag of marbles in my garage, the bag broke and 100 marbles went all over the garage floor. I was bent over picking some of them up and when I raised back up I hit the back of my head on the work bench and cut my head, so know I can't comb my hair on the back of my head and therefore go around looking like I just got up from a nap...
OMG, Sarge! Now that's gonna be a tough act to follow!

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
My son used to hit his hand and the forks a lot, so i put a little hole in the middle of the leather pouch and he has been fine since, jeff

·
Registered
62 Posts
I chipped a bone on my left pointer fingerer between the second and third knuckle. I never stopped shooting but there were times when it was rough while it was healing.
I was using to big of a rock trying to shoot like that guy from Carolina instead of shooting like I normally do.. lol. I know dumb move.

Longbow

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used to have a hole in the centre of the pouch but it doesn't seem to make any difference shooting pebbles. Might be wise with round shot though. I've modded the beast and it now has a leather hand guard, enabling me to practise technique without worry. Pics and description in the Custom Slingshots forum.

Cheers for all the advice, folks.

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
I chipped a bone on my left pointer fingerer between the second and third knuckle. I never stopped shooting but there were times when it was rough while it was healing.
I was using to big of a rock trying to shoot like that guy from Carolina instead of shooting like I normally do.. lol. I know dumb move.

Longbow
I also planted one on my thumb nail and I thought I was going to lose that nail. It was in winter and hands were very cold it was so painful I had to stop for several days and when I took it back up I wore a glove for a while. The Bean Shooter man you speak of was a no frills kind of guy. Looks like he used wide forks and long bands. I get in trouble if I use long bands and thats when I tend to smack my fingers or hit a fork. If I have to pull it past my ear the bands are too long for me. Bands 5 to 8 inches works best for me suppose I have to see it to keep all in line to go between the forks and not hit outside of them. One of my favorite shooters has an opening between the forks at 1 3/8 inches so theres not much room for error. The Bean Shooter man used rocks exclusively but remember he did not have a tv or a telephone either. If it comes down to it we too shall pick up rocks, But only if we have to.

·
Resigned
1,152 Posts
I think you are drawing too high, ie your drawing hand is angled too high above the forks. Your bands should form a perfect 90-degree angle when you draw. Anything over this will send a projectile hurtling through time and space until it hits your hands. While I in no way am going to tell a grown man who is paying his own bills what to do I would personally reccomend standing down on shooting to concentrate on safe drawing until you can do it without incident. I fear you're going to do some permanent damage to your hand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts