Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey mates, I have a deathly fear of bats, so does my mom, explains where I got the fear from. Living in an old farm house, you get used to things coming in... But this son of a b creeps through the crack of the roof and the chimney in my room and starts flying around (my room is small, very small). I was at my desk when I saw something out if the corner of my eye... At first I thought a bug, but then saw the wing span and started to flip out. I launched myself from my desk and tried to dodge it, crawling on the floor I ended up swatting it down with a blanket rolled into a make-shift log, at this time another one was trying to squeeze out of the chimney-ceiling crack. I luckily had my sling and had some heavy clay ammo on my desk and shot the one coming out of the attic, thankfully I hit it because I was shaking pretty bad. Afterwards, I watched it twitch and fall to the ground, after that I shot at the one I swatted down and missed twice...I finally got a good hit my 3rd try. Needless to say I thankfully got them both. I heard some chirping and immediately got some expanding foam and filled in the crack between my chimney and ceiling... Along with every single other hole/crack I found. I'm not sure if this is the first time they came in or not and has freaked me out, thinking maybe they landed in me while I was sleeping... My mom swears one landed on her the other night so possible... I decided to go to the ER just in case and me and my mom recieved our first round of rabies shots... Now we have 3 left. It may seem silly, but I would rather be safe than sorry. I only hope the bill isn't too bad, I heard rabies treatment cost several thousand... Yikes.... But I wanted to share my story, to mostly get my mind off of things and to share how my sling got two of them. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
You sure know how to have a quiet night. Good shooting though, they fly like the wind. Here's hoping the jabs are just insurance.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Sounds like something from a scary movie :panic:. Good job you nailed both of them, nothing like a slingshot and some mud balls in times of need :D .

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
I had one fly into an open window once while I was sleeping. I woke up to wings brushing past my ears as it flew around. I crawled out of the room and just sat in my car staring at my bedroom window, wondering what to do. Fortunately the thing found it's way out after about 15 minutes. I remember thinking that nothing in my adult life had ever prepared me for that situation :D If I had a slingshot at the time I probably would have just succeeded in putting a couple dozen holes in my drywall. Great shooting to take down two on the wing!

·
aka CYBORG
2,060 Posts
In the southwest, we get scorpions sneakin' in. A friend's lot backs up to a commercial nursery and he has to hunt them in his house and yard every night with a flashlight. Another friend stepped on one during a late night bathroom visit. They're not rabid but they do get all of your attention.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
@Jacoza,

I feel your freaking out!

Aren't bats simply an itsy bitsy mouse with wings (and potentially rabies !!!) Why though, do us men, do matrix moves and throw out our shoulder, back, or tear an ACL in our knee to dodge them? I am still trying to man up a better answer than; "They can carry "RABIES" you know!

Yeah, one night I hear the subtle but distinct sound of whooshing wings. They weren't a large moth! Needless to say, I wasn't sleeping that night until I felt safe (read; I was unnerved, ok, dang it....Scared of "Rabies"). So I managed to be sure the bugger was not in my bedroom and I would handle it in the morning. When it was asleep. Heh heh heh...splat.

Assuredly, I would sleep until then. But, NO! I would start to relax, about to doze off to neverland. Guess what snatched me from sleepy bliss. A creepy, soft, horror story, what the hell was that sound? A brush against my bedroom door. Now, wide eyed, and feeling like I was living a horror movie, dazed, scared and determined to not let this pip squeak rob me of desperately needed sleep. So, I come to my senses enough to calm myself and reassure my emotions that it is out there, I am in here, and I can sleep. A few more times I am about to doze off and what snatches me from bliss? My ears detect those evil wings brushing with haunting randomness against my bedroom door. It was like it was willing itself, to get to my side of the door.

Long story short. I couldn't take the untimed, tormenting, evil brush of wings on the door. Therefore, I bravely ventured out of the bedroom, armed myself with a tennis racket with the feeling there is "a snowballs chance..", that Game, Set, Match would happen. HA HA!! RIP, you little mouse devil with wings l!!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Am I the only one that captured the bat that entered my house one time, and kept it as a pet for a few days?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts