Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
This could have been in slings or atlatls, but I felt it was more atlatl in design.

I occasionally pick up a magazine called the Backwoodsman. Many of you may be familiar with it. While reading the latest edition I came across a single page diagram for a sling of sorts and thought I'd share it here. It looks like a long stick similar to an atlatl, with a leather pouch on the end to hold round projecticles. It would seem that you hold the string in the same hand as the stick, and release it while throwing. Has anyone seen this design before? It looks very similar to a lacrosse stick in terms of shape and function.

Edit* I'm attaching another photo so it'll be right side up.

Attachments

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like the old sheppards sling which was basically a sling on the end of their staff. Could throw a rock a mile but only the best could hit anything.
Yeah, I've never seen anything like it. I feel like it may be more accurate than a shepherd's sling though. I've seen guys play lacrosse and they can chuck a ball 20 yards and hit a paper plate. You would definitely lose some velocity when you adopt this design and move away from a traditional sling with a rope. I don't know if you could hit animals with it.

Reactions: MakoPat and Tag

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I made one could not throw it to save my life the string kept catching my rocks
I took a look at this and could not figure out what the string does (other than interfering with the rocks). It is a cool drawing and might look good on a sci-fi set, but a handheld shepherd's sling is so simple to make, so convenient to carry, and works so well - why bother with the baton sling? Maybe if you added forks to the end and elastic you would have a backwoods starship?

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow! A new issue is out.

I must go to the pharmacy.

I bet this could be a fun build and item.
It looked like it! I'd never seen such an item before, which is why I posted it here. I'm with Blue Raja though that the string does seem superfluous. If one wanted such a weapon for hunting you could do pretty well with lacrosse style baskets. Of course your ammo would need to be fairly round as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.