Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
955 Posts
I've been experimenting with some flooring samples from my local Home Depot based upon the recommendation of

Sling-N-Shot. I've been using samples that are approximately 1/8" bamboo, followed by 1/4" MDF and a pine wood backing. They cut well and the only challenge I've found is clamping the little samples and using my jigsaw. If I was using a bandsaw they would be perfect for cutting small frames.

I was a little worried about the strength of the frames due to the material, but they've been banded with single 1632 and doing quite well. I'll let people know if a fork comes back to kiss me in the future :)

The first two frames are Gherkin Gapper's by UrbanShooter. They're slim enough to slide into your pocket but have enough frame to grip comfortably. I already made one out of 3/4" oak and they're insanely comfortable to shoot. The brown one is currently banded with SimpleShot BB pseudo looped tubes and tabs, and the black one is getting 7" 1632 singles attached using the matchstick method. The brown one got a couple coats of spray lacquer and the black one got a rattle-can finish with black, gold, and glitter because sometimes a man wants to feel fancy while shooting cans.

The third frame is an Altorous designed by Charles. It's made out of the same bamboo floor sampling, and is small enough to fit in an altoid tin. A side note for anyone interested in making this type of frame: It just barely fits in the tin, so if your preferred attachment method is wrap and tuck (like mine is) you'll find it difficult to fit it in a tin with the rubber on the forks. I opted to use the matchstick method on it as well, again with 7" of single 1632 rubber. I wouldn't say it's a pleasure to shoot given the size, but it's certainly fun and small enough to carry anywhere. It's good for about 100 shots but after that my hand was starting to complain a little bit.

The quest for shooting .177 BB's continues and hopefully these little guys will make the process smoother. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can hot glue or double stick the samples to a sacrificial board that can be secured.
That's a great idea! I was drilling them into my workbench but the glue will keep me from putting more holes in my bench top than necessary.

·
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
here are some of my sucesses with the floor samples,lol
Those are really nice! The samples are a great size and come in a great variety for making quick and cheap frames. I especially like the one you've got banded up. That's a cool attachment method.

·
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a fun & cool little bit of DIY.

If you can find one used and cheap...you will love a good Scroll Saw. Much quieter than a jig saw or band saw, too.
Don't I know it. My wife actually has one from Harbor Freight. I'm just terrible with it. I need to practice, but I get impatient and want to make frames immediately, so I just go back to what I know. :screwy:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts