Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening;

I picked up a SimpleShot Dead Ringer a little while ago, and got it set up with the Blue Theraband pouch with the idea of shooting BBs for practice. I like the setup a lot, but I'm getting a lot of hand or finger slap from the bands. From what I've read, that means that I probably have a band setup that is too strong for the ammo.

So, what do all of you BB shooters use for bands? I'm thinking green theraband or something like that.

Thanks,

Mooch

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
BB's are what i shoot almost exclusively using a pickle fork. I shoot them as much as my health, which took a bad turn for the worse last year in April will allow.

I use Theraband Gold (the 30 thou. stuff) attached so they are 7 inches long by 3/8 wide. I give the fork a little flip just as i let go the pouch which actually helps with slap. I also have found that different forks seem to determine somewhat how much slap i get. Finger placement plays into it i guess. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
1632 pseudo-taper tubes
2040 single tubes - a bit heavy but they still work
3/8" Precise yellow bands
5/16" or 3/8" TBG, old version or .030" Latex
3/4" X 1/2" Precise green bands
Sanctband plum with mild cut
Theraband blue with mild cut
Theraband silver with mild cut
117B elastics - one full loop per side

Use a very small and light pouch. Maybe 2" X 1/2" or 5/8" pouch. I like the light microfiber material. Try adjusting your band length to deal with the hand slaps.

·
aka CYBORG
2,060 Posts
Yup, 1632. When I had Dead Ringers, I used short loops the same as Matt, and 5 or 6" singles to the pouch. Plenty of zip, zero hand slap.

Also works great for 1/4". As Northerner pointed out, there's a buffet of choices.

Attachments

·
Amateur
2,576 Posts
Don't overlook the importance of a light pouch. With BBs, even the lightest pouch will be heavier than the ammo,which means the pouch stores more energy than the BB. Energy in the pouch is what causes hand slap.
I don't really have a problem with handslap, but I've been shooting "stock size" bb pouches both leather and microfiber and have often wondered if they are too big. Given the small size and weight of a bb and the relatively small amount of rubber needed to make them fly, I would think the pouch basically only needs to be big enough to tie to the bands and secure the bb.

Just how small could one go? If I was shooting bbs with single 1632s, do i think i could get away with a 1cm x 2cm pouch? Maybe even smaller?

·
Super Moderator
5,204 Posts
Don't overlook the importance of a light pouch. With BBs, even the lightest pouch will be heavier than the ammo,which means the pouch stores more energy than the BB. Energy in the pouch is what causes hand slap.
I don't really have a problem with handslap, but I've been shooting "stock size" bb pouches both leather and microfiber and have often wondered if they are too big. Given the small size and weight of a bb and the relatively small amount of rubber needed to make them fly, I would think the pouch basically only needs to be big enough to tie to the bands and secure the bb.

Just how small could one go? If I was shooting bbs with single 1632s, do i think i could get away with a 1cm x 2cm pouch? Maybe even smaller?
Why not try a 1x2 pouch and let us know? I used a kangaroo skin pouch that wasn't much bigger than that to hit 432+ fps with .25 steel, but don't remember the exact dimensions.

·
Amateur
2,576 Posts

Why not try a 1x2 pouch and let us know? I used a kangaroo skin pouch that wasn't much bigger than that to hit 432+ fps with .25 steel, but don't remember the exact dimensions.
I plan to eventually when I need to make some new bandsets and I get a descent leather punch, but figured I'd ask those more knowledgeable and experienced first. Thanks for your insights.

·
Amateur
2,576 Posts
1632 pseudo-taper tubes
2040 single tubes - a bit heavy but they still work
3/8" Precise yellow bands
5/16" or 3/8" TBG, old version or .030" Latex
3/4" X 1/2" Precise green bands
Sanctband plum with mild cut
Theraband blue with mild cut
Theraband silver with mild cut
117B elastics - one full loop per side

Use a very small and light pouch. Maybe 2" X 1/2" or 5/8" pouch. I like the light microfiber material. Try adjusting your band length to deal with the hand slaps.
Also, the extra small latex tubes from simpleshot are great with bbs in singles or 1 - 2 in pseudo.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Theraband blue is actually quite a good choice for .177 (4.5 mm) steel BB's, (which weigh roughly 0.3 grams per unit) as it is thin and very fast.

When cut to 20 cm length, a 10 mm constant width (maybe a very slight taper, say 10 to 8 mm), and a thin leather pouch (without a center ammo hole) sized at 30 x 10 mm or slightly wider (15 mm width in my case), you'll have the right power input without hand slaps.

Clearly, other band thicknesses will require different dimensions, so one needs to experiment.

The slingshot shown is my homemade birch plywood board cut "Twin-Loop" with a 5 cm fork gap, with which I also shoot .38 caliber (9 mm) steel ammo.

This setup also works quite well for .30 gram Airsoft BB's.

Just my 5 cents worth...

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good Morning;

Thanks one and all for all the input; it is greatly appreciated! I made up some new bands for a couple frames that I've got for shooting 3/8" clay pellets (back yard practice with the fam; they are biodegradable and shatter if they hit something hard, but can be reused if you shoot them into the catch-box). I used the SimpleShot 5/8-5mm kangaroo pouch and 5/8 straight cut green theraband, and still managed to get a little bit of hand slap, but nothing like what I've been getting with the Dead Ringer setup. So my BB setup seems like it will need to be similar; possibly a little thinner (1/2" or 3/8" bands) and a lighter pouch.

So, who makes good microfiber pouches?

Thanks again,

Mooch

·
Amateur
2,576 Posts

I plan to eventually when I need to make some new bandsets and I get a descent leather punch, but figured I'd ask those more knowledgeable and experienced first. Thanks for your insights.
So i cut some tiny pouches for .177cal (4.5mm) bbs, and I think they work pretty well. Takes a bit of practice and finesse to get the hang of loading such a small projectile into such a small pouch, but it's not terribly difficult. The brown one that is pictured tied measured about 8mm x 2.2cm and is pretty thick leather the black one in my hand is thin kangaroo and is closer to 1.1cm x 2cm.

I was zipping the little bbs straight through a beverage can at ~10 meters with the tiny pouch, and single 1632s on this little natural so I guess this experiment was a success.

Hand Natural material Body jewelry Finger Gesture
Gesture Wood Wrist Cable Jewellery
Finger Gesture Wood Thumb Material property

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.