Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sewed double thick 8-9 ounce cowhide scraps into a swinging target for my new ammo catch. Measured 25 feet ( I'm still pretty new to this sport) from the covered patio and marked it for reference. Did the same at 40 feet at the garden gate post, and 46 feet out of the photo frame. Want to keep trajectory in my own suburban yard so I won't try for any farther until I gain skills and confidence.
Pleased that I finally dialed in where to hold and began hitting the 2 1/4 diameter target over half the time.
Baby steps for me friends.
Right shoulder is still stiff and sore from some injury last year but it felt better after the exercise.
I decided that the leather makes me a great target. Tough, resilient and makes a nice slapping sound with a hit.
Don

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the thoughts and kind words. I've learned that this shooting hobby is unlike any other outdoor hobby I've had in the past. The range is right there in my back yard. There's potential for true hunting usefulness with my slingshots. There's enough particulars about the sport that experimentation opportunities are excellent. Just so much to offer, and I built a nice target setup from scrap in our little shop.
Just a great hobby.
Don

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thank you all for the thoughts and kind words. I've learned that this shooting hobby is unlike any other outdoor hobby I've had in the past. The range is right there in my back yard. There's potential for true hunting usefulness with my slingshots. There's enough particulars about the sport that experimentation opportunities are excellent. Just so much to offer, and I built a nice target setup from scrap in our little shop.
Just a great hobby.
Don
I agree. Sometimes I wonder why slinging isn't more popular in the states and I think it's the availability of firearms and our laws that make the US different than other countries. If we didn't have such easy access to guns more people would sling probably. Saying this I have what my wife would say are more guns than anyone needs I just don't get the same thrill and desire to always improve that I do with slingshots. They're just so much more challenging than plugging off rounds. Different latex, tapers, pouches, ammo, frame widths it goes on and on. And if that wasn't bad enough then there's building your own frames and that opens its own can of worms. Lol. You can get into the sport with some rubber bands and a treefork or custom frames costing 300 dollars and the latest elastic with falconry grade pouches. I could go on and on but slingshots just get in your blood and kills all other hobbies. Seems like I'm constantly judging distances of things and seeing Y shaped objects everywhere I am. Lol

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
i agree,my gun collection is greatly diminished because i sold all the ones i didnt shoot anymore,got like 3 long guns and acouple pistols,but got drawerfulls of frames and supplies,i think it might be an ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,addiction,,,,,,,,,,,but maybe not?
Me too!
Only the fave guns that I shoot.

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
Me too! Though I've only bought one frame..... my first.
Only the fave guns that I shoot, being:

Marlin Cowboy Ltd 24" octagonal bbl leveraction .45 colt (strong smokeless and BP loads)
Browning BL22 leveraction
Stoeger double bbl coachgun 12ga (BP only)
Lyman GPR percussion .54
Ruger Blackhawk SA .357 mag
2x Ruger Old Army cap'n'ball .45
Ruger Security Six .357 mag
STI Trojan 1911 .38 super

All bought new and cherished but rarely shot lately. :D
aww the ruger security six 357,with a 3inch bbl,blongs to a cousin now,nice piece miss it sometimes,my only other ruger is a 10/22 that i have still,got it in 1979,put literally thousands of rounds thru it,taught my sis,mom and daughter how to shoot with it,and it will still put 5 shots in a bottle cap at 50 yards [although i need a rest for that] memories,,,,,,

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
aww the ruger security six 357,with a 3inch bbl,blongs to a cousin now,nice piece miss it sometimes,my only other ruger is a 10/22 that i have still,got it in 1979,put literally thousands of rounds thru it,taught my sis,mom and daughter how to shoot with it,and it will still put 5 shots in a bottle cap at 50 yards [although i need a rest for that] memories,,,,,,
Might start looking for a good secondhand Browning Buckmark .22 for that reason, introductions.
My 25yo daughter loves shooting my 1911.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts