Slingshots Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Registered
Thanks Steven馃槉
Years ago I got into cowboy action shooting comps but soon tired of it as at times it would take up to 5hrs for the growing group to cycle through four stages. Fun and a good social for a while but I don't have the patience.
Love reloading and shooting real black powder.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Whytey those are beautiful. A handsome arrangement!
It appears from your photo that you too load your Old Army's off the gun as both revolvers have the cylinder ram removed. I load off the gun because I can get more leverage using a homemade loading press. The balls shave like butter when I drive them home. Are you folks allowed to have the conversion cylinders making the ROA .45 Colt fixed ammo capable too? Depending on the style of conversion cylinder they can be fun but tedious to use. And you're limited to "Cowboy" light loads with the conversion cylinders. But still less fiddly than loose powder on a lazy day at the range.
Don

Registered
Thanks Don,
Yes I load the cylinders off the gun on a portable loading press.
Here in Queensland we are only allowed to own handguns if we are licenced club members and can only shoot at registered and supervised gun ranges as is pretty much the same for all of Australia. To maintain reason for ownership you have to shoot the minimum participation requirement of registered comps per annum.
We are allowed up to 9mm or .38cal with a 10 mag cap and any cal size black powder muzzle loader style(cap'n'ball included) as a norm but can own up to .45 cartridge for metallic silhouette and cowboy action only comps, again the minimum number requirement must be met.
Yes cylinder conversions are allowed but I don't like mouse fart loads, only full powered as meant. I use to own a Ruger new vaquero .45 colt but sold it on as I prefer shooting the old armies anytime without the cowboy action requirement. They are a joy to shoot with 30gn fffg. :D

Prince of Paraprosdokians and Epistemophilia
Also a nice today to be smacking cheeks. 馃憢馃崒鈽衡樅馃ぃ
Bubble-butts are my fave. I've a set of them at home, lucky me. And to think, as a youngster, only "knee-slapping" was in vogue... Times have changed.

THWACK!

Sewed double thick 8-9 ounce cowhide scraps into a swinging target for my new ammo catch. Measured 25 feet ( I'm still pretty new to this sport) from the covered patio and marked it for reference. Did the same at 40 feet at the garden gate post, and 46 feet out of the photo frame. Want to keep trajectory in my own suburban yard so I won't try for any farther until I gain skills and confidence.
Pleased that I finally dialed in where to hold and began hitting the 2 1/4 diameter target over half the time.
Baby steps for me friends.
Right shoulder is still stiff and sore from some injury last year but it felt better after the exercise.
I decided that the leather makes me a great target. Tough, resilient and makes a nice slapping sound with a hit.
Don
Will tree number 25 replace the burning Sequoias?

THWACK!

Reactions: skarrd

Just the white dog turds you鈥檝e gotta be wary of 馃ぃ
We don't get snow around here, so white dog turds are quite apparent.

Are Dalmatian turds black and white????????????????

THWACK!

yep,here too,my 3 pits and the step daughters golden retreiver/boxer mix,mowing truly is an adventure :)
That's why some Deere fellow invented "riding mowers".

THWACK!

And above all,Its just a great day to be alive :)
ANY day is a good day to be alive - I know that I'm not particular.

THWACK!

Me too!
Only the fave guns that I shoot.
I can't part with any of mine - they're all so "purdy".

Lately, I've added PCP .22 for Iguana elimination. Yes, they do "taste like chicken", and that's why in some countries, they're referred to as "tree chickens", but I could only eat one at a time...

THWACK!

Whytey those are beautiful. A handsome arrangement!
It appears from your photo that you too load your Old Army's off the gun as both revolvers have the cylinder ram removed. I load off the gun because I can get more leverage using a homemade loading press. The balls shave like butter when I drive them home. Are you folks allowed to have the conversion cylinders making the ROA .45 Colt fixed ammo capable too? Depending on the style of conversion cylinder they can be fun but tedious to use. And you're limited to "Cowboy" light loads with the conversion cylinders. But still less fiddly than loose powder on a lazy day at the range.
Don
"The balls shave like butter...". Darn, another "Manscape" endorsement.

THWACK!

SLING-N-SHOT
I agree. Sometimes I wonder why slinging isn't more popular in the states and I think it's the availability of firearms and our laws that make the US different than other countries. If we didn't have such easy access to guns more people would sling probably. Saying this I have what my wife would say are more guns than anyone needs I just don't get the same thrill and desire to always improve that I do with slingshots. They're just so much more challenging than plugging off rounds. Different latex, tapers, pouches, ammo, frame widths it goes on and on. And if that wasn't bad enough then there's building your own frames and that opens its own can of worms. Lol. You can get into the sport with some rubber bands and a treefork or custom frames costing 300 dollars and the latest elastic with falconry grade pouches. I could go on and on but slingshots just get in your blood and kills all other hobbies. Seems like I'm constantly judging distances of things and seeing Y shaped objects everywhere I am. Lol
LOL, as Pink Floyd said, Welcome To The Machine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Darrell Allen

** SlingLyfe Band Up **

21 - 35 of 35 Posts