Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an osage natural I thought was going to end up as garbage, literally. It checked pretty good, but I was able to fill the check with glue/sawdust, and it turned out fairly nice. It has a super wide throat, and it performs really well. The handle is 1 3/8" in diameter and each fork is 1" in diameter. Took some getting used too.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Jim,
Nice natural ergo! I'd love to find myself one of them osage naturals. I've found forks bulky like that too and had to shave a lot of wood off. Quite time consuming, but the final product is well worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim,
Nice natural ergo! I'd love to find myself one of them osage naturals. I've found forks bulky like that too and had to shave a lot of wood off. Quite time consuming, but the final product is well worth it.
I didn't shave any wood off, but I thought about it. The only drawback to the osage naturals is you really don't get to enjoy the yellow heartwood that we're all accustomed too with Osage. However, you can see the heartwood in the centers of the wood, and they are quite stong because of the heartwood being present in the center.

I'll have to collect some naturals over the next few weeks and ship you one or two. It's an awful, ugly looking tree if you've never seen one. The branches are innertwined, with alot of dead branches on the outer ends. The thorns are very strong, and they do hurt. It's tough getting to the forks you want, because they are back a ways in the living part of the branches.

When you find one tree, there are several not too far away, as the trees grow in bunches, usually on a hillside, or in a valley.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No problem...just give me a few weeks to get them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts