Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Cogito Ergo Armatum Sum
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Bear Cub scout got his whittlin' chip card, and I know they are going to be doing some sort of project at the pack campout next month. I'd like to have a couple of more advanced projects to show them, but of course that would mean I will have to learn something that qualifies. So... nothing like a new tool to get motivated to try something new. I went to woodcraft to look the flexcut knives over, but just couldn't convince myself to turn loose of that much money. Those things are not as substantial as I had thought.

So, I had one of these that I had picked up at a garage sale for fifty cents.

http://www.ontario-knife-store.com/product_images/g/986/7000_old_hickory_boning_72-6__89769_zoom__92539_zoom.jpg

It was pretty beat up from being run through the dishwasher (who puts a carbon steel knife in the dishwasher, anyway?) but was still solid. And, a little cutting, a little grinding and sanding, some time with the diamond stones, and I ended up with this. I didn't finish the wood or polish the blade, cause I may still need to tweak it a bit, but I think it might work.

Now I just gotta figure out how to carve.

Attachments

Reactions: Danny0663

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Great job on that! Old Hickory kitchen knives are great. Good ol' carbon steel. Your set now.

I've got flexcut carving knives, and they are great, but I'm sure that one is going to work out just
as well if not better!

·
Over 9001 Warning Points!
2,089 Posts
That's just like my dad- you want it, then go make it! It makes it that much more valuable

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Ok, I have the one's Hrawk's picture, they are quite good actually. I don't have the multi-folder.

·
Cogito Ergo Armatum Sum
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, don't get me wrong, I think the flexcut single knives are just fine, but, IMHO, overpriced for what you get. I mean the standard ones are just a small blade blind slotted into a shaped handle. Nice, but $20+? Not for me, thanks. I looked at the forged version, and it's a piece of 3/8 round tool steel drill stock heated, flattened on one end, shaped and heat treated, then put into a round hole in the handle. If I decide I need some different shapes, that's probably the route I'll go, but I'm not about to pay $30+ for it.

These are about the simplest project for a beginning knife maker I can imagine. Either ground from an existing scrap knife blade, or forged from an old drill bit you got from a pawn shop for a quarter, It just isn't that hard.

·
Over 9001 Warning Points!
2,089 Posts
Mine worked well for a little while, then the edge got all bent on a knot

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
On the topic of homemade carvers, I've heard of quite a number of people using old straight razors for blades.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
I make my own carving knives that look somewhat like those Flexcut singles. But I do have the multi-tool (given to me for Father's Day a couple years ago). It's okay, but I haven't used it much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.