Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Cogito Ergo Armatum Sum
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Bear Cub scout got his whittlin' chip card, and I know they are going to be doing some sort of project at the pack campout next month. I'd like to have a couple of more advanced projects to show them, but of course that would mean I will have to learn something that qualifies. So... nothing like a new tool to get motivated to try something new. I went to woodcraft to look the flexcut knives over, but just couldn't convince myself to turn loose of that much money. Those things are not as substantial as I had thought.

So, I had one of these that I had picked up at a garage sale for fifty cents.

http://www.ontario-knife-store.com/product_images/g/986/7000_old_hickory_boning_72-6__89769_zoom__92539_zoom.jpg

It was pretty beat up from being run through the dishwasher (who puts a carbon steel knife in the dishwasher, anyway?) but was still solid. And, a little cutting, a little grinding and sanding, some time with the diamond stones, and I ended up with this. I didn't finish the wood or polish the blade, cause I may still need to tweak it a bit, but I think it might work.

Now I just gotta figure out how to carve.

Attachments

Reactions: Danny0663

·
Cogito Ergo Armatum Sum
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, don't get me wrong, I think the flexcut single knives are just fine, but, IMHO, overpriced for what you get. I mean the standard ones are just a small blade blind slotted into a shaped handle. Nice, but $20+? Not for me, thanks. I looked at the forged version, and it's a piece of 3/8 round tool steel drill stock heated, flattened on one end, shaped and heat treated, then put into a round hole in the handle. If I decide I need some different shapes, that's probably the route I'll go, but I'm not about to pay $30+ for it.

These are about the simplest project for a beginning knife maker I can imagine. Either ground from an existing scrap knife blade, or forged from an old drill bit you got from a pawn shop for a quarter, It just isn't that hard.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.