Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I just picked up a Ruger/Umarex Air Hawk .177 a few weeks ago. It was marked down $20 and I couldn't pass it up. I've shot a pump action airgun before, but top speeds were probably 500 fps and I wanted something with a bit more power to go hunting with.

I'm not a rifleman by any means, and I've been struggling to get a good setup to go hunting. The gun came with barrel sights, but it has a little barrel droop and I can't get enough elevation without making some quick mods. Apparently it's a common issue with this gun. I planned on using a scope anyway, but the one it came with isn't great, so I'm in the market for a new one. I found some on Amazon in the 20-40 range with great reviews. Any suggestions from you all for scopes or general setups? I wanted to attach a sling, but it may need to be done on the side like an M1 carbine. What is a standard hunting range with these things anyway? 25 yards? It should hit 800 fps with standard ammo, and get up to 1000 fps if I really fine tune it.

I'm new to all this, so if anyone has advice or suggestions, let it rip! I just wanted a way to go hunting and plinking without having to break the bank. Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I was hunting only with iron sights, so I can't recommend a scope. I can tell you though, that very high speeds are not good. They actually reduce accuracy, especially if you go hyper sonic. Heavier, slower ammo is better, more momentum and more accurate, but be prepared to search a lot to find which kind is good for your barrel.
As for hunting ranges....I killed a band tailed pigeon at about 75-80 meters....it was the luckiest shot in my life because I hit it square in the heart, but you get the idea, with a nicely tuned gun, you have plenty of range.
Make sure your seal is perfect, remove the twang with a piece of aluminium, a soda can will do, grease the spring lightly, and you are good to go. You can find after market springs, and cut them to length, but you do need to experiment a lot, or find someone who has already done such a mod to your rifle.

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hunting only with iron sights, so I can't recommend a scope. I can tell you though, that very high speeds are not good. They actually reduce accuracy, especially if you go hyper sonic. Heavier, slower ammo is better, more momentum and more accurate, but be prepared to search a lot to find which kind is good for your barrel.
As for hunting ranges....I killed a band tailed pigeon at about 75-80 meters....it was the luckiest shot in my life because I hit it square in the heart, but you get the idea, with a nicely tuned gun, you have plenty of range.
Make sure your seal is perfect, remove the twang with a piece of aluminium, a soda can will do, grease the spring lightly, and you are good to go. You can find after market springs, and cut them to length, but you do need to experiment a lot, or find someone who has already done such a mod to your rifle.
Thanks Skropi! The ammo I'm planning on using should be a little heavier and move a little slower. I'm a little nervous about taking it apart and messing with the internal parts, but I'll watch some youtube videos to see what needs to be done. I mainly wanted something to hunt rabbits and squirrels with, and maybe some groundhogs. What I really need to do is just by a decent .22 rifle, but until then I'll play with this.

Reactions: hoggy

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Yeah, Skropi is correct. Too little mass and too much velocity make the ammo tumble.

Just like slingshots the ammo and energy have to match in order be optimally balanced.

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MP: That's good to know. I'm gonna experiment with some different types and try and find something with good groups at the 25-30 yard range. I've read up on the same thing with archery. Too little weight in the ammo means inaccuracy and loss of energy.

Reactions: hoggy
1 - 8 of 8 Posts