Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to share a pic of my latest creations. I’ve been experimenting with different sizes and types of solid rod over the last few months. I’ve made multiple versions of these shooters using stainless steel, copper, brass, aluminum and titanium. I think my favorite so far is this hexagonal stainless model wrapped with paracord. I’m having a blast trying different types of metals and different flat band thicknesses.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Simple and cool.
Thanks for the replies! So far my favorite metal rods are stainless steel and aluminum. The 1/4” hexagonal stainless is super strong. I’m really starting to like 5/16” copper and aluminum as well. I’ve made two out of 1/4” titanium……they were a struggle to cut on my bandsaw using a traditional 18tpi blade. In fact, I had to throw that blade away when I was done cutting the forks to length.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That hexagon steel looks great 🤠
That should really make for a precise bend and cut (y)
I do like the way the hexagonal rod bends. It’s much easier to make reference marks to start the bends and the lines are easier to follow for symmetry. Here’s a pic of the cold bending jig I made.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’m using a Milwaukee bandsaw that I mounted in a Swag Offroad portaband base. It mounts vertically and you can control the blade speed with this set up. I’ve tried several different blades….32,24 and 18tpi for cutting carbon steel, brass, copper, stainless steel and aluminum. So far, I like the 18tpi the best. If tried cutting titanium with a 24 tpi…..never again. It ruined the blade.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Very nice work, great to see others making bent metal rod slingshots. Don't want to blow my trumpet here, but this is how I make my large 8 mm stainless steel rod slingshots, if ever:

Fluted sections of wood (beech wood or other hard woods) fit well between the U-shaped grip section, and make for a practical method using small fluted wood blocks to attach flat bands safely (see images). For those of you with a router, this should be quite straightforward, but my drill method shown in the video works very well too. You do not need two flat band grooves: this is how I did it initially for safety.

Pushing the concept further, you can heat bend sections PVC to create simple homemade flat band clamps (image). Just fold over the band end prior to placing them between these clamps.

I have a 25 mm space between the fixed large rod bender pin and that of the rod bender lever, and use a combination of bending dies that came with the rod bender (link below) to achieve shorter lengths between bends for the purpose of narrower forks. This is essential if you wish to make an 8 mm stainless steel rod "pinch-grip" type metal rod slingshot for tubes (see image).

Smaller "Dankung" designs are possible (mini slingshot image), and 6 mm stainless steel rod is fine for those. I strongly recommend making a jig attached to the rod bender block in order to mark off the required bending angles, as shown in the video. Patience and accuracy are needed for a nice final outcome.

Metal rod slingshots are a bit tedious to make, but well worth the effort: always wear safety gloves and glasses when doing this, because the forces involved are quite high. I purchased my rod bender from the US via Amazon: BAC Industries | Manufacturers of Light Industrial Products World Wide..

Money well spent for any enthusiastic slingshot maker.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.