Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the best working band length for maximum feet per second and have plenty of shots without having to change bands too frequently? Can a slingshot approach 400 fps? This to me would be the ultimate impact for a 3/8 steel.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
These goals are trade-offs.

You will have to find a compromise, for you personally.

400 fps is possible, as Flatband reported. But it will only work for just a few shots, then the bands will tear.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Not only that, but as I have said several times, when you start shooting over 300FPS, it starts becoming danerous. Somewhere around that speed the rubber starts tearing longways instead of crossways and when it does it can cut your face like a knife. This don't always happen, but it does happen. My advice is just don't do it. Tex

·
Registered
113 Posts
You dont need 400 fps , 210 fps for me is powerfull , 400 is just too much .
I suggest youexperiment with Slingshots and / or watch some of Joergs video's for motivation and ideas.

·
Registered
56 Posts
dont worry about your speed to much dgui. for target shooting you can use anything and have fun, and if your thinking of hunting, shooting a heavier bullet slower is always the best bet for clean kills. you will also find that you are more accurate with a lighter band set anyway.

I have killed plenty of small game with a 36 cal round lead ball shooting at about 175 fps (single strand tapered .050 latex bands) and many of the hunters on here shoot something more like 44 cal lead balls which would travel even slower. for hunting its all about transferring energy not raw speed.

I cut all my bands to nine inches long and once tied that gives me about 7 1/2 inches of working band for my 27 inch draw length. that seems to be the best compromise for me on power and longevity of bands. yours will be different of course because you will have a different draw length than me, but that should give you a starting point for experimentation.

also you mentioned shooting steel. if your looking for impact damage (for hunting or just plain destruction) lead will always penetrate and transfer more energy for an equivalent sized ammo ball,

steel is good for target practice though..its plentiful, and has a flatter shooting trajectory than lead ammo of the same size. you just have to decide whats more important to you distance or energy, its the great debate that every slingshotist, archer, and rifle shooter has debated for centuries

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dont worry about your speed to much dgui. for target shooting you can use anything and have fun, and if your thinking of hunting, shooting a heavier bullet slower is always the best bet for clean kills. you will also find that you are more accurate with a lighter band set anyway.

I have killed plenty of small game with a 36 cal round lead ball shooting at about 175 fps (single strand tapered .050 latex bands) and many of the hunters on here shoot something more like 44 cal lead balls which would travel even slower. for hunting its all about transferring energy not raw speed.

I cut all my bands to nine inches long and once tied that gives me about 7 1/2 inches of working band for my 27 inch draw length. that seems to be the best compromise for me on power and longevity of bands. yours will be different of course because you will have a different draw length than me, but that should give you a starting point for experimentation.

also you mentioned shooting steel. if your looking for impact damage (for hunting or just plain destruction) lead will always penetrate and transfer more energy for an equivalent sized ammo ball,

steel is good for target practice though..its plentiful, and has a flatter shooting trajectory than lead ammo of the same size. you just have to decide whats more important to you distance or energy, its the great debate that every slingshotist, archer, and rifle shooter has debated for centuries
I will check draw length and make the adjustment.

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You dont need 400 fps , 210 fps for me is powerfull , 400 is just too much .
I suggest youexperiment with Slingshots and / or watch some of Joergs video's for motivation and ideas.
I just viewed the video of the one inch lead ball being shot with a foot stabilized slingshot. Very impressive.

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not only that, but as I have said several times, when you start shooting over 300FPS, it starts becoming danerous. Somewhere around that speed the rubber starts tearing longways instead of crossways and when it does it can cut your face like a knife. This don't always happen, but it does happen. My advice is just don't do it. Tex
Good advice. So what is the FPS of the Saunders bands with 7 1/2 to 8 inches fork to pouch?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts