Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see in the other "first slingshot" posts the reccomendation is for a non-braced slingshot. Unfortunately I have rheumatoid arthritis, and lack the wrist strength to draw a slingshot without a brace. Basically when I pull on the bands my wrist is going to bend, particularly if it's canted at all.

So what do people recommend as the best starter slingshot with a wrist brace? And is there anything in particular that changes shooting with one vs having no brace?

·
So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)
4,384 Posts
Of the foldable slings, I would have to agree with Grandpa Grumpy, the Black Widow is a very fine sling and they are relatively inexpensive. You are able to turn the forks around facing forward and add a gypsy tie if you wish, shooting OTT or TTF's depending your tie set up. A gypsy tie does not have to be used as a direct wrap and tuck works great also. With the forks turned around you gain about 3/4 to 1 inch of draw length, a plus for sure.

It is small enough to carry and holds very well. I have a few of them and like them very much. IMHO it is one of the better wrist slings, IMO.

wll

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
There is also the SimpleShot Hammer - its a bit more pricy but has some cool features... And its approach would allow for simple band/tube changes.

I've always like the looks of the Marksman frames - they seem to have lower forks than some of the others which should help felt torque.

·
Super Moderator
6,679 Posts
I'm with GrandPa. The Black Widow is a good choice. Foldable, well made, relatively small, versatile too. You could load a set of flats on it quite easily. Go for it.

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
I will recommend the Burnett Black Widow. It is very inexpensive and its lower forks will reduce the strain on your wrist. Get rid of the heavy draw weight tubes and get some easy to pull flat bands. Use the clamps that Bill linked to attach the flat bands and you are good to go.
I will add my recommendation to GG's. The Barnett Black Widow has low forks, and it's found at most big box stores (Meijer, WalMart, etc). Just replace the current bands with something a little more forgiving, and you are in business!

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
Reactions: skarrd

·
Registered
406 Posts
Here's a good tip from Tex-Shooter

Reactions: skarrd and JonM

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Managed to get my hands on a Barnett before lockdown happened! Did not get my hands on much ammo tho!

The draw is really heavy, though it's easier to grip when there's something in the pocket. I may need more muscles

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Managed to get my hands on a Barnett before lockdown happened! Did not get my hands on much ammo tho!

The draw is really heavy, though it's easier to grip when there's something in the pocket. I may need more muscles

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Get rid of those heavy tubes and put on some flat bands as suggested in the above post. The draw weight on those stock tube is ridiculous. Flat bands will have a fraction of the draw weight and they will retract much faster for better ammo speed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts