Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
*When I first joined the forum I printed a stack of templates that caught my eye, and occasionally I'll go through and make one. A couple weeks ago I selected one with no name or title, so I have no idea whose it is. If you recognize it, shoutout to the person who came up with it.

I wanted to make a small and sleek little frame, something that challenged my (very) rudimentary skill set. I used a 1" red oak board to cut the template. My jigsaw skills need work, but it's that or my wife's scroll saw, and I'd have better luck with a butter knife than that scroll saw. I took a rasp to the edges to round them out and try to remove my mistakes, then sanded the whole thing to 400g. I tried MikMaqWarrior's roasting technique and popped the little guy in the oven for an hour. I have no idea if it hardened the wood, but it darkened and smelled pretty nice. After it cooled I applied 3 coats of tung oil.

I wanted to shoot it with looped 1632 tubes and tabs,so I sought the wisdom of the SSF on attachment methods. I got a ton of suggestions, but I really wanted something that looked clean and low profile. The one you see in the picture utilizes some stiff leather, bolts and acorn nuts. It ended up being way more bulky than I liked, so I've since scrapped that. I also tried attaching using dental floss but it kept slipping off the fork at full draw. Each method I tried also left marks, scratches, and glue on the frame.

So after two days of trying different tying methods, I've decided to just appreciate the sling for what it is rather than try to force it to be something it clearly doesn't want to be. I've thrown some paracord tabs on there with the wrap and tuck method, and have decided to call it quits before I maul the poor thing any more (final pic). It's simple looking and a little rough on the edges, but I'm a simple man so it suits my needs! Once the ammo stops freezing to my pouches, I'll put the little guy to work and feed it some cans. Thanks for looking and stay warm my friends!

Attachments

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fellas! I'm getting a little better with each one (and saving money to boot!).

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing ugly bout that one my friend. Nice job.
Thanks! It's got lots of little dings and dents that don't show in the picture. I just have to remind myself its part of the process. You can't get hung up on what something isn't, just enjoy it for what it is.

·
Registered
805 Posts
It looks great! 'Clean' would be a good word - clean shape, finish, and all.

By the way, if the idea if the scroll saw appeals to you, definitely keep it in mind - with good blades, mine'll zip right through 3/4" baltic birch ply. That looks mighty fine regardless. :)

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

By the way, if the idea if the scroll saw appeals to you, definitely keep it in mind - with good blades, mine'll zip right through 3/4" baltic birch ply. That looks mighty fine regardless. :)
Yeah, I really need to just grab some wood and practice cutouts. It's not exactly a quality model (Harbor Freight special), but I think my technique is really the only thing lacking.

Reactions: d3moncow

·
Registered
805 Posts

Yeah, I really need to just grab some wood and practice cutouts. It's not exactly a quality model (Harbor Freight special), but I think my technique is really the only thing lacking.
Yup, practice always makes better. Good luck and have fun!

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Dang! S'good lookin' shooter. I like your tabs and hardware store furniture. Brass acorn nuts just look fancy to me.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Brother Michael -

I tried the bolt and leather approach on the PP HTS that The Norseman sent me to get started. I liked the way it looked - kind of complimented the industrial look, but could not get the bolts to stay tight enough to keep the tubes from moving. I agree w/ your conclusion - wrap and tuck gutted para-cord gypsy tabs seem to work the best for me. I wonder if you could use a long length of flat band material extend the wrap down the fork to cover where you grip? This would secure the tabs and give you a grip surface.

Don't sell your woodworking skills short! That is a good looking cattie. It needs a wrist sling and some love beads. - Got to have the love beads!

By the way - I passed along the the cattie that you sent me to my 6 y.o. godson. It fits his hand perfectly and is great for launching wool puff ball ammo. He loves it. His mother - not so much.

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Brother Michael -

I tried the bolt and leather approach on the PP HTS that The Norseman sent me to get started. I liked the way it looked - kind of complimented the industrial look, but could not get the bolts to stay tight enough to keep the tubes from moving. I agree w/ your conclusion - wrap and tuck gutted para-cord gypsy tabs seem to work the best for me. I wonder if you could use a long length of flat band material extend the wrap down the fork to cover where you grip? This would secure the tabs and give you a grip surface.

Don't sell your woodworking skills short! That is a good looking cattie. It needs a wrist sling and some love beads. - Got to have the love beads!

By the way - I passed along the the cattie that you sent me to my 6 y.o. godson. It fits his hand perfectly and is great for launching wool puff ball ammo. He loves it. His mother - not so much.
Interesting. I've toyed with different ideas to make the wrap look a little cleaner, and possibly wrap farther. I may need to snag some more of those bands from the lab at the hospital! And I'm glad to hear the Chalice is getting some love! It tickles me to think of a little boy creating such great memories with something I built. Just as long as the momma doesn't come looking for me!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Brother Michael -

Interesting. I've toyed with different ideas to make the wrap look a little cleaner, and possibly wrap farther. I may need to snag some more of those bands from the lab at the hospital! And I'm glad to hear the Chalice is getting some love! It tickles me to think of a little boy creating such great memories with something I built. Just as long as the momma doesn't come looking for me!
Mamma is adamantly anti-weapon. My godson enjoys helping me craft weapons, especially blowguns (from PVC pipe) and light sabers (bamboo sticks covered with swimming pool noodles). He shows considerable promise w/ a sling. He is a terror w/ your Chalice cattie and yarn puff balls. He has his own axe at his Opa's house in Austria. I tell him Star Wars stories and Opa takes him to a reproduction castle. Opa and I are making sure that that he has appropriate opportunities to embrace is masculine heritage.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Very nice. It looked cool with the paracord tabs too. But the final is really clean.

Reactions: MikeyLikesIt
1 - 19 of 19 Posts