Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In shooting guns, there is a saying "beware the man with 1 gun". Meaning that he knows it inside out and can shoot it near faultlessly. Is the same true of slingshot frames?

Different frames, mean changes in point of aim, and / or, point of reference. So if you were to shoot just 1 frame you're consistancy should be better (in theory).

Do you shoot 1 frame or several different designs?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I shoot several - depending on why I am shooting

for tearing a target to shreds w/ 5/8" marbles, it's my Kit Fix Hybrid from A+ Slingshot, designed to be shot instinctively with 1/2" steel shot

for precisions shooting with 3/8 steel shot, it is a toss up between my Jack Koehler Alley Cat and a custom from Mako Pat (kind of sounds like a Dr. Seuss story)

For paintballs with our godson and Mrs. Raja's boss' sons, a Rambone 2.0 or a vintage Trumark with flatbands or even braided rubber bands

For roving - a Simple Shot Torque or a PP HTS - relatively inexpensive and very simple to replace if lost or damaged

For nostalgia, my Grandpa Pete natural

For bb's another custom from Mako Pat

For special occasions - a Flatband ergo

and finally - for launching a golfball for distance, a custom from A+ Slingshots designed for that very purpose

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have always stuck to the one rifle for target shooting and had great success but had many Rifles before I found the right rig.. stock, action and scope.

I have a catty I think suits me at the minute. I will try others along with different band sets. Part of the fun I think.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
566 Posts
Samurai Samoht, a member here, posted a challenge about a year ago here where you had to stick to the one frame for a month and post your results. Think the results were near unanimous - everyone got better.

I was still a tad green and wondering what kind of frame and bands defined me as a human being, but I was very pleased to have taken part. I notice your keen on joining in on some comps. When you find an agreeable arrangement with a frame, bands and ammo I'd be sticking with it for a month at least.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm pretty good with my Torque on a good day and it's the only non-braced frame I've ever shot for more than a month on occasion. Actually I've sent at least a couple thousand through the forks since getting it early this year. I made a post in the homemade section of a frame that fits my hand like I squeezed Play-Doh and so far the accuracy falls well short of the Torque, even though it makes the Torque feel like the least ergonomic block of plastic imaginable in comparison. Could just be that I'm better with looped tubes and a 90 degree twist of the pouch than with flat bands and a traditional pouch hold but that still favors the notion of the post title

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Until the 2018 slingshot world cup event in Italy, I used my homemade board cut and bent steel rod slingshots, mainly for plinking with 9 to 12 mm steel ammo and fairly heavy band sets.

Seeing the well-made stainless steel Chinese slingshots at the event for the very first time, with their flat band attachment clamps, fiber optic sights, lighter band sets, super small micro-fiber pouches, and 6 to 8 mm steel ammo being used by top notch Chinese shooters, got me started in a quest for high accuracy on paper targets placed at 10 meters: I purchased a "chasing dragon" style slingshot with a 5 cm fork width, and an "Alashan* style frame slingshot.

The ergonomic "chasing dragon" stainless steel slingshot has become my main practice slingshot with an emphasis on tight groups using 8 mm ammo, and the "Alashan" is my BB shooter. I personally feel that the Chinese designs are superior to most of the other alternatives presently on the market: there clearly is a reason why the Chinese team won the world cup in 2018, albeit that their teams consisted of very experiences and able shooters.

My homemade slingshots still come to use on my "magnum" days, when I want to hear and see "sudden impact" on tin cans, or make nice holes in particle boards :D .

All that being said, I would agree with the approach of mainly shooting the same frame of choice consistently, as the holding stance and anchor point are key aspects in terms of absolute accuracy.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
If I'm shooting when it counts (and if you want to get better then it should always count) I shoot the Hardcore Fugetaboutit. In practice and comps that's all I shoot. Occasionally I'll shoot other frames, for reviews or PFS for fun but when the chips are down I'll only ever use one frame. I've made better versions but this the one I'm sticking with.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
"Do you shoot 1 frame or several different designs?"

I enjoy exploring different designs to see their advantages and disadvantages. My quest for many years has been to find the frame that helps contribute to my accuracy.... but I still enjoy variety in the sport. I would stick with one frame if my main purpose was to put food on the table to feed my family.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheers all. Good opinions and feedback.

I only have a few Uniphoxx and few Wolf frames. I have pretty much settled on the uniphoxx in TTF mode. I think i should stick with it solely for a month or so and maybe stick with one size of ammo - then as romanljc it will start to become an extension of my body.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
I'm a bit late to the party as usual, and many excellent comments already posted.

Looking back to my rifle days I agree sticking to the same one would increase accuracy. That said although I hope to have a go at some time at the odd competition, I'm more into the fun aspect these days and enjoy trying different ones. Another variable is I've found I can switch between the Lion Mouth, Wasp Stinger and my latest own build with only a slight change in anchor point. I'm sure there's loads of other combinations out there where shooting many would still be like shooting the one.

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
I SHOOT MY DAN HOOD CUSTOM 99% 0F THE TIME. MOSTLY BECAUSE I AM UNABLE TO HOLD A MORE. TRADITIONAL DESIN BECAUSE OF A HAND INJURY.

ALTHOUGH I OWN SEVERAL HUNTING RIFLES THERE IS ONE THAT I HAVE ULTIMATE FAITH IN....I JUST NEVER HAVE MISSED AN IMPORTANT SHOT WITH IT. IT ALSO HAPPEND TO BE THE CHEAPEST RIFLE I OWN.

·
Premium Member
9,886 Posts
If I'm shooting when it counts (and if you want to get better then it should always count) I shoot the Hardcore Fugetaboutit. In practice and comps that's all I shoot. Occasionally I'll shoot other frames, for reviews or PFS for fun but when the chips are down I'll only ever use one frame. I've made better versions but this the one I'm sticking with.
Man that's a classy set up. Very nice!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts