Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning it was drizzling rain. I was looking out a front window to check how serious it was, in anticipation of walking the dog. I spotted a big rat hunkered down in the edge of the hedge, facing away from me ... probably wary of one of the neighborhood cats. I thought I would give my Altoid OTF another chance, so stepped back, picked it up and grabbed a couple of hunting slugs. I eased out the front door and took a shot. I caught the rat just forward of the hind haunch, where the slug penetrated up under the ribs and through the chest cavity. Of course it knocked the rat for a loop; it gave a few kicks and expired. On examination, it turned out to have a well developed set of teats and to be very fat ... I suspect she was just getting ready to give birth. Soooo, maybe I could claim to have killed half a dozen or so with one shot!

Cheers ...... Charles

·
Super Genius
337 Posts
great shooting!!
makes me wish we had rats in our neighborhood!
sort of ironic, i remember an old Mickey Mouse carton where he cheered "i killed 7 with one blow!"
he referred to flies, you refer to his cousins, hahaahaa

Reactions: danmakesshooters

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
great shooting!!
makes me wish we had rats in our neighborhood!
sort of ironic, i remember an old Mickey Mouse carton where he cheered "i killed 7 with one blow!"
he referred to flies, you refer to his cousins, hahaahaa
Awesome Bo, I was gonna say "Seven with one blow" the story from when I was a kid (see Wiki link), the Mickey cartoon was adapted from that.

http://en.wikipedia....t_Little_Tailor

·
Registered
738 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Great shooting Charles.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Very nice to know 107's will work... what was the hunting slug?

·
scooter trash
411 Posts
Nothing wrong with exterminating vermin. Good clean kill, Charles.

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very nice to know 107's will work... what was the hunting slug?
Those 107s will sling pretty heavy ammo at a decent velocity. The slugs were the ones in this tutorial:

http://slingshotforum.com/topic/13778-cast-hunting-ammo-with-simple-wooden-mold/

I generally carry a few with me all the time. In weight, they fall between .44 and .50 caliber ... not so heavy that you can't get them moving, but heavy enough to carry a lot of energy. And that cylindrical shape means there is always an edge when they hit, no matter how they tumble.

Cheers ..... Charles

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow good shooting. Rats whats that. No rats in Alberta ha! Sorry folks a Canadian insider joke kinda if i may be allowed one. Charles will get it being a ex Alberta guy.
Yeah ... whenever we found a rat in Alberta, we always claimed it must have come in on a rail car from BC or Saskatchewan ... :rofl:

Of course we were knee deep in mice and Richardson's ground squirrels ....

Cheers .... Charles

1 - 20 of 33 Posts