Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up 45kg ish of lead I found for sale on marketplace, £35. Happy with that, its roof flashings so pure lead I believe, should keep me going for a while. Want to work out how many shots I will get from it out of interest but havent weighed the shots my homemade mould produces yet. Seeing scrappies offering to buy lead at £1.35 per kilo so think i did pretty well. Along with the 4000 9.5mm steel I've just received I think I'm set for a while!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cant seem to find any sources for free lead, lead wheel weights are non existent now, gun ranges are extremely thin on the ground in the UK, car batteries aren't worth the effort for the piddly amount you get from them. Love to hear where you guys source yours from, especially anyone uk based.

·
Super Moderator
6,185 Posts
For me - well fished areas (sinkers) and shooting ranges. Also look for really old sash windows - they often use lead weights. But almost sounds like buying is less pain in the a.... esp. for volume.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just done some quick maths now I've cast a few shots, the cylinders my casting mould and cutting jig produce are 6.6 grams, so 151.5 to the kilo so with approx 45kg's of lead that's roughly 6800 shots, say 6500+ once I've removed the dross. £0.0053 per shot.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
I'm a plumber in the uk and get all the lead I want out of house renovations.
If you know anyone in the building trade I'm sure they can find you some.

Unless I'm taking out a lot of copper and lead in one go I don't normally sell it for scrap because I don't want it kicking around until I've got enough to warrant talking it to the scrap yard.
I'm sure I'm not the only person.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Good deal. Cleaned fluxed ingots were going for $1/lb here in the states.That is peer to peer. Commercial was about double that. Stay away from auto batteries they have cadmium which us very toxic. If you are going to cast your own you should get close to 8000 9.5 mm balls. Check out cast boolits website there is more info on casting projectiles there than you will ever need.

All the prices here were before cv19 so who really knows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts