Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Been thinking about making one of these for a while, was a little bit nervous about all the curves lol. But I'm pretty happy with this result overall, if nothing else it was practice for the next one! Not really sure what bands I want to use for it, I'm thinking simpleshot black but I'm too tired to cut a band set right now haha. Hope you guys like it, if you have any suggestions for my next board cut that would be appreciated too. :)

Thanks for having a peek!

P.s. If you cant tell I modified the design a little for my grip preference. ;)
18b357602ecabe33b47f33705f1a7baa.jpg
9d5bad47169426399f77c38ab8132f1e.jpg

Sent using two thumbs and Tapatalk.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! I usually don't like ply frames, but that looks pretty snazzy!
Thanks buddy! I think I might make another with some kind of scales, buy this was a fun start. :)

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Why did I wait so long... this thing is SOO much fun to shoot! Super comfy and feels very natural in the hand. :)

Sanded to 320 grit and hit with 3 coats of BLO. SS black latex 3/4"× 7" straight cuts.

Happy days. :)
4f21638993ce44fa386ea9a57b1221aa.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Why did I wait so long... this thing is SOO much fun to shoot! Super comfy and feels very natural in the hand. :)
Sanded to 320 grit and hit with 3 coats of BLO. SS black latex 3/4"× 7" straight cuts.

I know, right! Port Boy really changed my slingery.

Once itten by a tiny turtle... you shoot them.
Twice bitten... you start makin' 'em.
Nice mode, too.

Sheltowee fit my hand so well I just love 'im from the first shot. You are gonna need some more wood.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Nice mode, too.

Sheltowee fit my hand so well I just love 'im from the first shot. You are gonna need some more wood.
Is Port Boy also CanOpener lol? :)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Nice! I like the subtle mod you've made.

IMHO multiplex is a superb and safe material with which to try new shapes. It's versatile and is quite easy to work. If it doesn't work out, we can always toss it without any remorse. And aside from the weight, I would imagine it doesn't shoot any differently from the prettier materials so long as the shaping has been done right.

I still haven't shot my Tiny Turtle yet... putting final layers of protective finish cos I anticipate I would want to shoot it for quite a bit. I might consider just using a rattle can of poly on multiplex next time so I can shoot something new without too much of a wait! I've got another build polymerizing as well. That soft lustrous glow of BLO is just soooo pretty...

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Nice! I like the subtle mod you've made.

IMHO multiplex is a superb and safe material with which to try new shapes. It's versatile and is quite easy to work. If it doesn't work out, we can always toss it without any remorse. And aside from the weight, I would imagine it doesn't shoot any differently from the prettier materials so long as the shaping has been done right.

I still haven't shot my Tiny Turtle yet... putting final layers of protective finish cos I anticipate I would want to shoot it for quite a bit. I might consider just using a rattle can of poly on multiplex next time so I can shoot something new without too much of a wait! I've got another build polymerizing as well. That soft lustrous glow of BLO is just soooo pretty...
Thanks u.s.! I totally agree about Multiplex it's a pretty wicked material. I started getting into it after seeing what kind of stuff gamekeeper John was doing with it. As far as the spray-on polyurethane goes, I absolutely love it. You probably already know this, but if you set the can in some fairly hot water for about 20 minutes before you start spraying it works a **** of a lot better. Comes out cleaner and adheres better, also seem to dry quicker. Apply several super thin coats, dusting the frame with poly every half hour or so two or three times. Here's the poly that I like to use and how nice ot can shine, thanks for your input and happy building! You're going to love that tiny turtle once you get to shooting it, I know I haven't stopped shooting mine much LOL.

bac76ab7494a841ecf15a7b64c85fa98.jpg
4f2e66fe4772eb7a3bd2e5b6a96eacb0.jpg

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the tip! I didn't know that and I will try it when I use spray-on poly.
No worries! Glad I could help, I almost didn't say anything because some folks I know have heard of that trick before LOL. It works great for anything in a spray can, I do the same thing with spray paint before I apply to to plastic and it really helps it bond well. I actually had heard of this trick when I was young and was reminded of it recently my my father when I told him I was getting back into woodworking. :)

·
Read Only
0 Posts

Nice mode, too.
Is Port Boy also CanOpener lol? :)chef That made me laugh man we have a funny guy eh .Thats a good looking turtle buddy

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

She looks happy!
Thanks man, I think she is!

Reactions: Tag

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Took off the bands, went a little further to 400 grit and another 2 thin coats of linseed oil. Ive never had ply pop like this I like it alot. :)
137a7dde917b3f076fe9d5ba4e5dc938.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts