Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I turned this little oak fork black as the ace of spades turned out ok other than the black really highlights the makers marks lol .I sanded up to 600 than let it sit in a tea bath for couple hours I already had some steel wool dissolved in vinegar to wipe it down with I gave it about 3 baths and wipe downs it’s black I gave a coat of clear now just have to dress it up with some tabs and tubes ????thanks for looking

Attachments

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Jake think I have done 4 but the other ones were plywood this my first natural I was a little unsure if I sanded it to much but it worked out ok .i was thinking maybe next time just do the bottom or fork tips probably have a cool look

·
Mr. Mars
360 Posts
That's really nice bud.
Question, so what turns it so black? The tea bath? I didn't know that steel wool dissolves in vinegar. I suppose the steel wool must turn black in the vinegar?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The tea I think adds tannin to the wood witch reacts with the iron and turns black there a lots of stuff on the net about it sometimes no tea is used just wipe the vinegar iron onto wood I guess some wood works better than others I have only tried the oak and ply .ya the vinegar will eat up the steel wool after a week or two but u have to filter out it was black now it’s rusty looking but I have had it a couple years it does gas off hydrogen so keep that in mind

1 - 20 of 30 Posts