Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Wow! Yew make a nice bow.
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
Here is the progression of my "Nexus" catapult. Not too much from the first one came along, just the front curved face. The title says it all....black palm and E. red cedar laminate, with red cedar palm swell. The finish is clear lacquer. It's a great size for pocket carry and later this week I'm going to give shooting arrows are go. Let me know what you think! -Josh

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Really a swell job on color choice and design. Love the Red Cedar.

·
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you everyone! I wasn't too sure about using those two woods together, but I am very glad I did! My only complaint about this catty is that I did not round the edges much so they are a little hard when gripped. I am working on a slightly larger version using Jatoba and Black Palm so stay tuned for that

·
913 Posts
Very very nice combination of colors!
I worked with red cedar a few days ago and had a similar color...very nice wood.
Love the smell!
Sadly it is very soft

Never worked with Black Palmira, but i´d love to! Is it hard to work with? Is it dense and solid?

·
280 Posts
Yeah the Red Cedar is very soft, which is why I used it in a laminate. I think a Catty from just red cedar would not be particularly strong, although I could be wrong about that! Black Palm is not terribly difficult to work with, it splinters like there is no tomorrow though. I would say its easier to cut than Jatoba (brazillian cherry) but much more difficult than cedar obviously
Downside to black palm is that its VERY expensive, and is hard to find in widths greater than 75mm wide (at least for me!). In my opinion black palm is the most beautiful wood out there.

Also to answer your question....it's very solid! The lighter grain is softer than the black grain, so when sanded there is a 3D effect! Very neat. It is MUCH denser than cedar.

·
913 Posts
Nice, have to try it too!
I think i will go for a thinner board and only use it as decoration-part. Very hard to get bigger parts here too, i think that is is just the outer part of the tree, the core is not very solid...so they can cut the pieces only out of some kind of "tube" that is dense enough.
And you are right, it is so beautiful because of that two grains.

I also wouldn´t trust a "cedar-only" frame. I did one with a metal core...that worked pretty well

1 - 18 of 18 Posts