1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
I sometimes shoot homemade blowguns.

·
2,153 Posts
I shoot .625 caliber blow guns that I made myself, along with my homemade darts. I shoot pesky pigeons and any rats that come around. The longest dart in the picture is around a foot long, I didn't measure them. Long thin darts fly faster, but the 3/16" shafts have better penetration. Bamboo skewers make good darts and the 1/8" is a pretty good all around shaft size for everything. I use the 3/16" for "yard work", up close and personal. The broad-heads are just made from exact o blades and they really increase penetration to all the way through. My blowguns are four feet, five feet and six feet in length. I choose length based on how much room I expect to have and how far I expect to shoot. You loose some velocity with a shorter blowgun, but too long of a blowgun and you will lose pressure before the dart leaves the pipe and also lose velocity. My favorite size is my five footer...reasonable length, looks and is disguised as a walking stick with chair leg rubber on the muzzle end to contact the ground and another rubber chair leg end with hole the size of pipe to use as a mouth piece. On a scrap piece of pipe tap the rubber down until the pipe cuts through the rubber and you have a perfect fit. I just make mine out of 1/2" conduit and yes they actually measure 5/8" inside diameter. This diameter is considered ideal for hunting power.
DSCN0700.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Smitty, that's great; I have a six and a four footer at home, the longer one I made myself, I think it's 12mm or so in diameter. I've been having trouble with the four and penetration, I've used almost exactly the same dart as you, but I think I'll put on a broadhead. It really was very helpful, you have just reduced the squirrel population round here. Thanks.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Great lookin' darts, Smit! I picked up one of Cold Steel's new Professional series blowguns a few weeks ago. It's a 4 footer made of 3mm thick aluminum tubing, .625 caliber. It also has a 12 shot quiver (only fits with CS's darts) also. It came with a selection of their darts with the exception of the new razor tip broadheads and stun darts. I want to pick up a package of each of those, but I'd also like to make my own. Any chance of a tutorial video or something on the ones you make?

This is what I got.

·
2,153 Posts
That Big Bore blowgun in the heavy weight looks awesome, you got the best they make. You can find plenty of dart making videos on U-Tube, that's how I learned to make darts too.

·
2,153 Posts
Yep, that's what I mean! Taught me all I know on the subject! HA !

·
2,153 Posts
I dip my darts in shellac to waterproof them and keep them from warping. This also helps the cones to last much longer. It's funny, about the only stuff I use to finish anything is shellac or Johnsons' paste wax. Once in a while I will use Polycrylic to finish a slingshot if I want that "commercial shine", but I really like the warm glow of a wax finish. Plus with wax, if I change my mind about the way I made something I can file on it some more and then wax it again and there is no tell tale finish blemishes to have to blend in. If it is easy and quick I like it.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dip my darts in shellac to waterproof them and keep them from warping. This also helps the cones to last much longer. It's funny, about the only stuff I use to finish anything is shellac or Johnsons' paste wax. Once in a while I will use Polycrylic to finish a slingshot if I want that "commercial shine", but I really like the warm glow of a wax finish. Plus with wax, if I change my mind about the way I made something I can file on it some more and then wax it again and there is no tell tale finish blemishes to have to blend in. If it is easy and quick I like it.
Can you use the darts more than once? And have you tried metal ones with the same flights? say, bike spokes or coat hangers?

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,426 Posts
Blowguns are a section 5 firearm in the UK!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's right, and so is a skipping rope, or ANY other projectile weapon ... including catapults, even though we are allowed to hunt with them ... in the case of projectiles, air-rifles are to. I think when dispatching vermin, these things can be contested, within reasonable deliberation.

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,426 Posts
That's right, and so is a skipping rope, or ANY other projectile weapon ... including catapults, even though we are allowed to hunt with them ... in the case of projectiles, air-rifles are to. I think when dispatching vermin, these things can be contested, within reasonable deliberation.
[/quote]
No, slingshots and air rifles are legal (although you do need an FAC for an air rifle producing a muzzle energy >12FPE.) But any form of blowgun is definitely illegal in the UK, even if it's just a collector's item it has to have holes drilled in it so that it's no longer capable of discharging missiles...

1 - 20 of 68 Posts