Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Stephen
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I occasionally browse the other main slingshot forum. I notice a few of the really active people on here are on there as well. Do y’all find it annoying having to be on 2 slingshot forums? I decided to simplify and just picked this one at a certain point and don’t even login to my account on the other one.

I know there was drama at the other one a while ago but don't really know any of the details. I realize I’m not a veteran or anything but I had this fantasy of it all combining into 1 forum and having a larger community to tap into. Seems kind of weird and unnecessary to have 2 “competing” forums for such a niche hobby! But hey, if I’m talking out of turn here, let me know 😂

P.S. I occasionally browse facebook for the sole purpose of seeing the slingshot groups, otherwise I avoid that site as much as possible. Seems like there are a LOT of people in those FB groups but they bicker much more than people here and don’t have as much of a community vibe. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edit: What is everyone’s thoughts on the other forums/groups out there?

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Yeah, I figured it was a nice idea but nothing mor…
Each forum seems to take on a big vendor of choice, some big name makers of choice and other polarized stances. I won't get into specifics but most are pretty obvious.

It's kind of funny actually.

·
Super Moderator
5,232 Posts
I think it's healthy to have competing Forums. Some of the members here have had conflicts there, and some of the members there have had conflicts here. For the most part, members who have left one group have settled in nicely in the other group. Those who are members of both seem to help maintain peace on both Forums.

Bruce, both Forums are owned by VerticleScope.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I think it's healthy to have competing Forums. Some of the members here have had conflicts there, and some of the members there have had conflicts here. For the most part, members who have left one group have settled in nicely in the other group. Those who are members of both seem to help maintain peace on both Forums.

Bruce, both Forums are owned by VerticleScope.
Did not know that. I guess it's like an automall where all the dealers are owned by the same bigwig.

Interesting

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hard enough for me to remember if I changed my underwear this week. Much less try to keep straight which forum I've posted a question or started a thread on. I'll stay here unless the flavor changes to a negative. I occasionally look through the "other" forum and there are seemingly lots of fine folks. But I've nestled in here. In 160+ posts I've only felt a couple times that I was being treated less than as politely as I work to treat everyone else. I'm very happy with this grope.
Don

·
Super Moderator
1,850 Posts
I belong to both forums. I joined this one first, the other later, and have spent time on both. As time went by, I am here 99% of the time. Not sure why others prefer one or the other, but maybe nice that there are a few choices for people to see if one or another suits their tastes best.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Here are the three that I am familiar with:

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
The first slingshot forum I joined was the old TruMark Slingshot Forum and that was back in 2007. It was quite active and I learned a lot. Then this forum started up with the original format. Then someone started up the Slingshot Community Forum. I think the SCF was started due to someone being disappointed here. Then this forum changed to the current format which this old guy is finally comfortable with. Jeorg Sprave was once an active member here but wanted a bit more freedom with his postings so he started up his own forum. Jeorg's forum might be The Slingshot Forum but I'm not sure. I stick with this place but might visit other forums during the winter if I'm bored. At one time Jeorg had some interesting videos but I haven't checked in on him for years.

I've also visited a couple of Chinese slingshot forums but can only make sense of the pics. I bet there is some great information exchange on those web pages. Possibly the Spanish slingshot forums would be interesting too, but I'm I lack the language skills.

We have a great thing going with all these slingshot forums. Endless information, shared skills and ideas. You can't find this stuff in books or magazines. With the traffic volume we have there is bound to be some disagreements but that's part of being human. Hopefully we manage to work it all out smoothly.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Pretty much what High Desert Flipper said for me. I think no matter what platform you’re on you’ll find that every place has its own little (usually completely stupid) dramas from time to time. I gave up Facebook 3 years ago and it was probably one of the better choices I’ve made in my life lol. This place is fine for me. I’m on the other forum too but always seem to forget about it.

·
Registered
Stephen
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The first slingshot forum I joined was the old TruMark Slingshot Forum and that was back in 2007. It was quite active and I learned a lot. Then this forum started up with the original format. Then someone started up the Slingshot Community Forum. I think the SCF was started due to someone being disappointed here. Then this forum changed to the current format which this old guy is finally comfortable with. Jeorg Sprave was once an active member here but wanted a bit more freedom with his postings so he started up his own forum. Jeorg's forum might be The Slingshot Forum but I'm not sure. I stick with this place but might visit other forums during the winter if I'm bored. At one time Jeorg had some interesting videos but I haven't checked in on him for years.

I've also visited a couple of Chinese slingshot forums but can only make sense of the pics. I bet there is some great information exchange on those web pages. Possibly the Spanish slingshot forums would be interesting too, but I'm I lack the language skills.

We have a great thing going with all these slingshot forums. Endless information, shared skills and ideas. You can't find this stuff in books or magazines. With the traffic volume we have there is bound to be some disagreements but that's part of being human. Hopefully we manage to work it all out smoothly.
Very well said!

BTW do you have any links to the Chinese forum(s) you browsed through? That would be interesting to check out and see how much Google translate can figure out for me...lol

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Very well said!

BTW do you have any links to the Chinese forum(s) you browsed through? That would be interesting to check out and see how much Google translate can figure out for me...lol
About 10 years ago I ordered a couple of slingshots from fineslingshots.com but I don't think the dealer is in business anymore. The slingshots each arrived in fancy boxes with 52dangong.com printed on the bottom. At one time I searched this web address and got onto some Chinese slingshot forums. I can't remember if I had to play around with settings to get access.

LOL... and there could be people in China asking their friends how to access the English slingshot forums so they can check out the pics and videos.

52dangong.com

·
Registered
758 Posts
Northerner is the one who sent me down this rabbit hole after a private discussion on an archery forum and I'm glad he did. Both forums have their place and pretty much the same members , I prefer the format here but like to stay abreast of the other because of those members who do not frequent this site. The SCF forum has the "recent posts" feature which allows one to keep up with the activity very quickly.

With forums and message boards available for virtually any activity I have found it much too easy to spend way too much time staring at this monitor versus engaging in those activities and have been making a conscious effort to restrict the internet time.

·
Registered
Stephen
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
With forums and message boards available for virtually any activity I have found it much too easy to spend way too much time staring at this monitor versus engaging in those activities and have been making a conscious effort to restrict the internet time.
Well put. This is something I often think about and I have to stop myself, too. Don’t wanna get to the point where the digital simulation of something replaces the real thing.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
The SCF forum has the "recent posts" feature which allows one to keep up with the activity very quickly.
Would the "NEW" button on the top right of this forum be the same as the "Recent Activity" feature on the SCF? Once you skim down the NEW list you can read what you want and "Mark as read" everything so they are no longer new to you. When someone adds another comment to the posting then it becomes NEW again.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts