Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Amateur
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Collected a few nice forks over the holiday weekend. Hoping to have a few finished up in time to give as Christmas gifts.

Top row L to R: Sycamore, Pin Oak, Swamp Chestnut Oak, Pecan

Bottom row L to R: Roughleaf Dogwood, Roughleaf Dogwood, Swamp Red Maple, Live Oak, Pin Oak

Wood Human body Font Close-up Number

Attachments

·
Amateur
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow!

That's an amazing variety of source trees!

Good looking forks, too!
Thanks! I was trying to focus on "quality over quantity" but there are so many great forks out there, it's hard to leave any behind. I also made a point of trying to find trees/woods that I was less familiar with or hadn't used for slingshots before.

·
Amateur
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Better late than never, i guess.... As promised, here are a couple of these that I finished over the holiday breaks. Both are finished with CA. I'm still not very good with it, but I keep trying. The live oak fork was roasted in the oven for a few hours and the sycamore fork was done as a bark-on natty because I liked the way it looked. The live oak fork has been my go-to shooter recently. Cheers!

Human body Jaw Gesture Finger Wood

Plant Wood Gesture Finger Thumb

Hand Wood Finger Thumb Natural material

Hand Finger Gesture Gold Thumb

Attachments

·
Amateur
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Those are some nice naturals! I never got the hang of a CA finish.
I definitely don't have the CA skills yet either, but I found it went much better on the bark-on fork and I was happier with those results. Since it's not a smooth surface to begin with, I was less concerned about making it "perfect".

The CA finish on the live oak is pretty crude and I messed up a couple spots, but it's fine for me, as it's not intended to be a looker but rather a shooter, something I can throw in a bag or in my pocket and not worry about if a coin or keys will mar the finish.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,168 Posts
Looking great I always love the look of ca on wood
Me too PB, but I need A LOT more practice to be on some of yall's level. It really does a great job of showing off the grain.
Don't be so modest brother, that little sycamore natty you sent me looks just fine !
BTW, what were those bands you had on it, Precise ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Amateur
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looking great I always love the look of ca on wood
Me too PB, but I need A LOT more practice to be on some of yall's level. It really does a great job of showing off the grain.
Don't be so modest brother, that little sycamore natty you sent me looks just fine !
BTW, what were those bands you had on it, Precise ?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man, you're really pushing my memory here haha and i had to go back and find the picture you posted. I think the bandset on the fork was GZK 0.54mm. The two other bandsets i included look like they are probably presice 0.55mm yellow and GZK green 0.58mm.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts