Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Every time I search for some decent exotic hardwoods it is only available in pen blanks which are too small, or bowl blanks, which look ok, but not sure it they are suitable. I thought bowl blanks would have end grain, but they seem to be side grain as far as I can tell. Anyone use the bowl blanks as a source of exotic hard woods to make sling shots? and if so what is your success?

Thank!

Baz

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
Yeah, and the guys who make the spoons and stuff prolly feel the same when they see a knife handle or slingshot made with it.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
I have about a grand's worth of collected wood blanks suitable for knife handles and only one or two pieces suitable for slingshots.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah, and the guys who make the spoons and stuff prolly feel the same when they see a knife handle or slingshot made with it.
all a matter of perspective, in the end the best use is the one where it is most treasured and kept

ive also noticed bowl blanks and they seem a good source, depending on the wood grain, if theyre just trunk slices its not so idea but if theyre parts of planks then they would be great, i guess just have a look at the grain on the item in question, but generally if its square its probably a plank cut while if its round its more likely a trunk slice. also the type of tree and its trunk thickness is worth considering

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
be careful with carved bowl blanks...they have quite a bit of moisture in them. Once you start slicing into them they can crack and cheque very easily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.