Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a picture of a frame I made. A friend (Saxon) bought it from me. It is genuine Teak. A pretty oily wood normally. This one had no indications of a weak spot but it broke on full draw and came back at the shooter( another notch in favor of safety glasses). You just never know with these natural pieces what is inside. This one had some weaker heartwood in it. Maybe disease,who knows. Myself and some other guys have had forks break like this also. No hits,dings,or any other kind of hits against them-just a break on draw. I hope this post helps and you just never know guys-be careful!
Flatband

·
aka. bunnybuster
1,622 Posts
looks to be an invisible ,hairline crack inside of the wood.
Undetectable.
I always pull my slings farther than normal max, just to check them before sale.
Laminates are definately superior in strength. Natural forks, are equally strong because of the circular grain.
I never have had a laminate, or a natural, break, even with fork hits.
They are tough.
Tom

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Yikes, imagine that thing coming back towards your eye at 200fps.

Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
484 Posts
sometimes natural wood makes strange things! this prong break when sanding, without any force! bevore it was quite stong enoug to get rasp and grind down.
this one flow after 100 ore 200 shot in direction of the aim, not in my direction!
in my opinion not a strong permanent force kill the catty, i think it is the short impacts and snaps!
maybe the catty fall down, u will not see any crack, but after a few shots it can break.
but i don´t do strong bands on unlaminated wood.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
That is also why I like hard maple, the grain is fine and does not spliT easy. Also if using a wood pattern, always make sure that you have enough section at the base of the fork. -- Tex

·
Registered
401 Posts
Some wood rots from inside even there is no any sign on the surface.
I also only use the wood sling with a stainless steel inside as the 'core' .

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
Laminates for me from now on...or steel. There is still a lot of beauty to be had in laminates. Much more safety too !

·
Super Moderator
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's like Baumstamm says,a lot of strange things happen with wood. I always pull them back below eye level before selling or giving them away. I had one go on me that I had for years. I drew back and it broke as I was drawing-maybe I put it down too hard? Weird. Anyway, I hope the post helps. Lams and steel are a safer bet-no question.If the day comes when Joerg has a fork break -I quit!!!!!!!!
Flatband

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
I know it looks bad....and it is....but think of all the thousands of board cut forks that don't break. I know it just takes one to scare a guy or heaven forbid hurt someone, but with eye protection it should not be much of an issue. I also have lately been advocating more of a floating anchor near ones ear instead of in front of the face by the eyes. It seems to work well and possible improve safety. It's a very old traditional draw for hunting with flips.
I have also been considering laminations, but each change unfortunately drives up the cost. None-the-less, I don't think this is cause for us all to throw away our board cuts and turn to steel. I know the old saying is "wood is good, steel is better" but the beauty of wood is still what does it for me. IMHO it's a small risk to indulge my love of wood catties. Shoot on my friends, shoot on!!!!!

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Yep just think of all the Wham O's out there after fifty+ years and still shooting strong.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Lots of good points made in these posts. When the slingshot broke the small piece missed me and the large piece struck my chest below my shooting hand. I was not injured at all.
The slingshot had only been shot maybe,,,,200 rounds at most. But, I did have heavy bands on it. What were they Flatband about 1 inch X 3/4 at 9 inchs long? No, I think they were wider come to think of it. .50 Latex. Someting like that.
Anyway, I like boardcuts and Ill keep shooting them. Ive never had one break before. I have a few I dont put heavy bands on because I can feel them flex when I draw. Like somebody said, no slingshot is perfectly safe. (But I do wear shatterproof lenses.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts