Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

was reading this Rambone Vs Moorhammer 100 Joules + and Joerg said " The bronze IS bad for rubber, but all you have to do is to put a small piece of TBG under the real bands, then you will be good."

Does he mean that a bronze frame is bad for the rubber? Why? It is abrasive?
Because bronze frames are sold on "proshot".

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have a bronze PPMG and read the same post. Initially I put some band scraps under the actual bands, which makes banding a PITA. I have not noticed any degradation, but I also don't leave it banded when I store it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The reason why bronze reacts with latex is due to the sugars, starches, oils within latex itself, bronze and similar alloys suffer from what is know as verdigris that bronze emits when it is exposed to any air and or moisture, normally a green colour or can be darker depending on what it is touching.
To prevent this all you need to do is polish and clean the area and give it a light coating of a (two pack or pre-mix lacquer) to fully seal it from the elements, same for bare alloy to prevent any oxidization taking place.
Even the salts from your hands and sweat will wreak havock with bare alloys, leaving them lovely and black and messy.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
I have made hundreds of bronze catapults and yes, natural latex and some white coloured bands will discolour a bit, but I’ve had bands sitting on a brass frame for many years and there’s no band deterioration, just a bit of colour deterioration. Most modern latex doesn’t react with bronze now a days due to all the colours and additives

·
Registered
201 Posts
The shock absorbing properties of several of the heavier alloys will achieve the same results, Brass, Bronze PB's, Spun Cast Aliminium and so on, what also matters greatly is how the fork is made, IE, if there is more of the frame above the thumb swell it will act as a lever as the band and ammo reaches the point of release.

Shorter fork lengths keeps the pivot point more centered and closer to the bulk of the hand thus removing the kick and or flex.

What the topic was pertaining to is, Is bronze detrimental to the longervity of the bands, the answer is, not really, as a band had a finite life anyway even if cared for carefully, it is going to fail long before it will be stained by any contamination from alloy as it begins to tarnish to the elements.

What any bare alloy and sweat from the hand will do, is make your hands go black as the alloy is efected by the salts in your perspiration.

In my opinion a good quality alloy fork with enough bulk and a protective coating of some kind is the way to go, a good design that fits neatly and comfortably in the hand without needing much grip makes the best user experience, and my go to fork is the Proshot PPMG plus, all day.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The opening sorte aforementioned was!

" The bronze IS bad for rubber, but all you have to do is to put a small piece of TBG under the real bands, then you will be good."

One of many possible answers is, the heavier fork and or their overall design are beneficial to how the end result procures itself as we have about exhausted I think.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The opening sorte aforementioned was!

" The bronze IS bad for rubber, but all you have to do is to put a small piece of TBG under the real bands, then you will be good."

One of many possible answers is, the heavier fork and or their overall design are beneficial to how the end result procures itself as we have about exhausted I think.
I found the link https://proshotcatapults.com/gamekeeper-ppmg-plus-catapult-slingshot but it's not sold anymore

Was it in aluminium? (evil aluminium)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts