Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was outside shooting from the porch earlier today and thought my fingers were going to freeze before I even got 50 shots off! It's in the 40s, but still way colder than I like....oh the joys of living in NH! Was just wondering if anyone uses gloves while shooting during the colder months and if so, which kinds work the best? I'm thinking they'd have to have some type of a decent grip on them so the ammo doesn't slip out of the pouch before you're ready, but also have to be thin enough so you actually grab the ammo to place it in the pouch. I do have fingerless ones, but that wouldn't work for more than a few minutes since the fingertips would still be exposed and get cold in a few minutes.

Yes, I am a wuss when it comes to the cold...

·
See The Target
21,996 Posts
I use inexpensive work gloves. The ones that are rubber dipped on the palm/finger an material on the back of the hand . Like an extra layer of skin and breathable.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
i'm looking around to get me some combat gloves at a reasonable price but in the meantime, strange as it may sound, i keep my fingers warm by keeping my feet warm.

i buy chemicly heated sole inlays at the tackle store for a buck a pair at the tackle store.

ive noticed if i keep my feet warm my body and hands stay a lot warmer as well. the boot inlays stay warm for about 4-5 hours.

·
Engorged Member
363 Posts
when it's so cold outside that my fingers would go numb without gloves the rubber won't perform well anyway. I don't shoot outside at such cold temperatures. I gujess I'll have to build some kind of shooting range in my basement.

I live in Ironwood, MI...200 to 300 inches of snow per winter...so I shoot in my basement...so far so good...no broken pipes or lights....25 feet shot.
You are luckier than me ... I got a new slingshot two weeks ago and shot it in the basemend of my mother's house I was housesitting while she was on holiday. One fork hit, the ball ricochetted ... result: a badly dinged, formerly very nice wooden slingshot and one large mirror that had been in my family since before I was born. I spent the last sunday making a frame for the new mirror I had ordered and hanging it up before she returned and noticed ... :-D

To be honest: I like my new mirror and frame more than the old one :p

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a pair of Browning shooting gloves I used for trap and sporting clays. I have not shot either for years, but I dug them out of my old shooting bag last week - they are perfect. Thin enough that I can even load with my right had without trouble. I have no idea what they cost, my dad got them for me for Christmas years ago.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a pair of Browning shooting gloves I used for trap and sporting clays. I have not shot either for years, but I dug them out of my old shooting bag last week - they are perfect. Thin enough that I can even load with my right had without trouble. I have no idea what they cost, my dad got them for me for Christmas years ago.

·
HOBBYIST-SOPHOMORIC-JACKA$$
8,259 Posts
mechanic type of gloves ? or go bigger ammo, bigger bands/tube , tougher slingshot . i can get by using them brown cotton work jersey gloves .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts