Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
made this one today,its not a walking stick top as so many buffalo horn catapults are,and is carved from a single piece of buffalo horn with my workshop tools.Its nice to make something for me for a change ,even if the stuff does stink!

thanks for looking.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Justin, that's really excellent. Buffalo horn is a great material for one piece items, as it is fairly strong and polishes to a high lustre. I haven't used it on knives for years as it's not dimensionally stable if there are changes in humidity. I see you've made the very best of it. It's inspiring. Maybe I'll have a go sometime.

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
NICE!!!!

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
Way to go Fish! Looks really nice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Is it difficult to work with? I have seen cow horn and used it to make powder horns but never thought the material was suitable for a slingshot mostly because it is hollow and thin. How do you overcome that and how did you form it into a slingshot? Is it hollow?

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,426 Posts
Simply stunning!
I'm glad it's not mine as I would actually eat it!

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Is it difficult to work with? I have seen cow horn and used it to make powder horns but never thought the material was suitable for a slingshot mostly because it is hollow and thin. How do you overcome that and how did you form it into a slingshot? Is it hollow?
Not at all. It cuts like plastic. Just don't get it too hot or it will burn like fingernails. Be careful with splits, but they should be evident.

Buffalo horn refers usually to Indian buffalo, but the best stuff is Philippine Carabao. I have some solid tips a foot long and fist sized at the base.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
i made one a few year ago with the walking stick blanks you get on ebay, it feel really nice in your hand, i put some deer antler on, (what a deer kindley gave me ha ha), i looked realy nice with the 2 differant colours,
thats a nice one fish, the one on the top like it, jeff

·
Registered
199 Posts
Nice work Fish, looks really nice mate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts