Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, many of us have a BOB...Bug Out Bag. In it there are many survival tools, one of which is a slingshot.

The question is how do you maintain the longevity of the bands/tubes on your forks? We all know that heat is an enemy.

Do you rotate them? Are they unbanded? what would you do it the SHTF?

Thanks,

Sofreto

·
Registered
527 Posts
Although I live in the UK the main reason my interest in slingshots was rekindled is through looking for a SHTF hunting tool. I'm a bit of a part-time prepper, and I'm also into EDC (although maybe not in the way that a US citizen would understand it) so this is an area I've given thought to in the past.

It's worth noting that a B.O.B is usually intended as a short-term survival cache - 3 days/72 hours is the most common timeframe taken into consideration when putting a B.O.B together. Obviously each individuals requirements will differ, but for a few days use as a small game hunting tool you shouldn't need more than a couple of sets of bands, even if you're using tapered TBG. Rotation then becomes easy, but storage away from heat, light etc. remains a priority. Here the usual method of storing in a ziploc bag in your B.O.B should suffice.

Personally I don't have a slingshot in my B.O.B as I already have one that I EDC. I'm using Dankuung 1745 tubes at the moment and always carry a spare set - that should be more than enough to cover the notional 3 day survival situation. by definition my EDC is always with me, even when my B.O.B is beyond reach.

My own concerns are regarding the long term storage of bands that would be required for extended "bugged in" scenarios, but I've read threads here where members claim to have bands in zip bags from years ago that still appear okay. I've also been exploring the possibility of using chained office rubber bands in an improvised scenario and have comcluded they would also get the job done if needs be.

If you were constructing an I.N.C.H ("I'm Never Coming Home") bag then storage and rotation of bands would be somewhat more important. In that case I'd suggest using your bag as the main storage for your bands. For example, I buy tubing in 10m lengths and cut that into lengths each of which is long enough to make a single band set. I put each of these in an individual ziploc bag and store in a shoebox in the bottom of my wardrobe. If I had an I.N.C.H bag then I could just use a compartment of that bag instead of my wardrobe. Standard rotation of bandsets through every day shooting would mean the bag was always prepped.

·
See The Target
21,252 Posts
Keep the bands sealed in an air tight bag until needed. Then attach.Rotation would also be a good idea. You can also apply a preserver like 303 Aero Space Lubricant.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Tex had the idea to store them in percription bottles pretty much air tight and UV protected..

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
10,979 Posts
JamsMarmelade said:

"It's worth noting that a B.O.B is usually intended as a short-term survival cache - 3 days/72 hours is the most common timeframe taken into consideration when putting a B.O.B together."

In which case, I wouldn't be putting no slingshots or bands in my bag. I'm absolutely sure I could go 72 hours without food. But just to be sure, I 'd rather put a bag of beef jerky in the space a slingshot would occupy. For longer than 72 hrs I'd rather rely on making traps to catch small game than trying to shoot it with a slingshot. For a 3-day survival situation, I'd be far more concerned about water than about food.

·
Registered
527 Posts
JamsMarmelade said:

"It's worth noting that a B.O.B is usually intended as a short-term survival cache - 3 days/72 hours is the most common timeframe taken into consideration when putting a B.O.B together."

In which case, I wouldn't be putting no slingshots or bands in my bag. I'm absolutely sure I could go 72 hours without food. But just to be sure, I 'd rather put a bag of beef jerky in the space a slingshot would occupy. For longer than 72 hrs I'd rather rely on making traps to catch small game than trying to shoot it with a slingshot. For a 3-day survival situation, I'd be far more concerned about water than about food.
I agree 100% - it would likely take me the full 3 days to bag a single squirrel, by which time I'd be dead of dehydration!
The stats are something like 2 weeks without food, but 2 days without water and you're dead...

However, I'm sure that many people view a B.O.B as a desert island/jungle survival sort of affair, and I can understand the desire to have any kind of hunting weapon available for that scenario. I guess that most preppers would include a fishing line and some snare wire in their B.O.B in any case, but a slingshot would be a nice addition if you're good enough to use it effectively.

As I'm sure everybody here is aware, in the UK the slingshot has a long and infamous history as a tool of poachers for the taking of small game and roosting birds. However, as a country we're so densely populated that the notion of grabbing your B.O.B and heading for the hills/forests and living off the land is ludicrous!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a crossman 1322 for the purpose stated above.
If I was a lot better shot with a slingshot I might think different.

The air gun is light weight.
It is very quite compared to powder.
I can carry a lot of ammo and it is cheap.
It is legal to carry almost anywhere.
Safer in a high density area to use.
I have taken small game with it before.

We are not talking protection, just game getting.

It is also handy for snakes and stray dogs!

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have a crossman 1322 for the purpose stated above.
If I was a lot better shot with a slingshot I might think different.

The air gun is light weight.
It is very quite compared to powder.
I can carry a lot of ammo and it is cheap.
It is legal to carry almost anywhere.
Safer in a high density area to use.
I have taken small game with it before.

We are not talking protection, just game getting.

It is also handy for snakes and stray dogs!
Air rifles are great pot fillers for sure, but our draconian firearm laws here in the UK means that I'd get locked up carrying one in public without good cause. Obviously if I have permission from a landholder that's a different story, but unlike our American cousins we can't just take to the woods with a rifle.

Strangely we have yet to ban the humble slingshot, which accounts for it's popularity as a hunting tool for many this side of the pond!

·
Over 9001 Warning Points!
1,953 Posts
Hatchet, leatherman, para cord, SPS with tubesets, ammo, fire steel. Chop some saplings down to season, while seasoning, hunt with SPS til rubber is exhausted. Make a bow, hunt with bow.

Reactions: SlingDaddy

·
Registered
195 Posts
It rains like heck here so my BOB has a change of clothes in a seal-a-meal. Nice and dry. You could seal-a-meal bands flat for long term BOB storage, tubes you would have to get a little bit creative to seal-a-meal.

Mark

·
HOBBYIST-SOPHOMORIC-JACKA$$
7,735 Posts
dont forget to pack a stick of chapstick

Reactions: pop shot

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
I wonder if polyisoprene bands or tubes -- the stuff they make non-latex gloves out of -- last longer than latex. not as whippy, I know, but perhaps it would be a good choice for a "stuff it and forget it" bugout bag.

·
OldMiser
3,399 Posts
I have a few band sets made up ..with 303 aero treatment..then placed in a bag & vacuum sealed...

along with dehydrated food pouches.....personal water filter....fire stick...just to name a few items.....

Best to you on what you want to carry with you~~AKAOldmiser

·
Registered
579 Posts
I personally think slingshots wouldn't be good long term. Bands only last so long and I'd rather get good with a weapon I could keep using for as long as needed. On the contrary, I think they would be amazing short term.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.