Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well folks I received my part of the 8 man build and swap today, and I gotta tell ya, I think I got the best of the bunch. Mr Slingnerd has outdone himself with this chalice. The best way for me to describe it is "sophisticated simplicity" . It's got an elegant curve that is incredibly comfortable in hand. It's an effortless hold. I keep putting it down, staring at it and then picking it back up again. It just has a great feel to it. There's no bulky finish on it. Just the natural beauty of the wood. I can't seem to ID what it's made from. . My first thought is that it's some sort of cherry wood. Whatever it is, it's gorgeous. The curve makes it fit perfectly in my pocket so obviously this will be my EDC for the foreseeable. Thank you Slingnerd thank you thank you. I love it.
Here's some pics , oh by the way he included this unbelievable piece of olive wood just for the heck of it. Christmas came early for me this year.

Attachments

·
Registered
812 Posts
That’s a beaut.Been liking curves since flipgun sent me the “pig in a poke” the curves flow with my hand.That one by slingnerd really flows I like the tips also Great work!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a beaut.Been liking curves since flipgun sent me the "pig in a poke" the curves flow with my hand.That one by slingnerd really flows I like the tips also Great work!
this one seems to float in my hand. It falls into a perfect shooting position. Not sure how he accomplished this, but I'm not asking any questions.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Thanks all for the kind words.

Inspiration for the deep curve came from the Pig-In-A-Poke frame, an ergonomic phenomenon to say the least. But I wanted to fatten it up some because I have meaty paws and need a bit more to grip! I call what I came up with a "D" shaped cross-section, because if you were to cut the Chalice across the waist, the silhouette of the frame would look exactly like the letter "D". The flattened palm-side disperses pressure against the hand evenly (and therefore comfortably) and the rounded belly seats your curved fingers in about the same manner.

Regarding the fork tips/throat - well I just wanted it to look sleek and slick and smooth. I've developed an aesthetic for rounded edges against hard lines (I think). Classic Cars inspire me. This one really worked out.

And everyone knows how easy it is to aim a Chalice - you can't give me any credit for that, good sir.

I'm sorry this took so long to get to you, T-Man but the USPS didn't make it easy..

I hope that bit of Olive makes up for the wait.

Super happy with this Build And Swap and stoked for the next one!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention -

The frame (Asian Cherry with a bit of spalting) is sanded to 1K, Danish oil soaked and 0000 Steel-Wooled because the result is silky and non-reflective (and apparently bewitching by Treeman's description)

If you have never used this method to finish a hardwood I WHOLEHEARTEDLY recommend it. You will not be disappointed!

A perk is that small nicks and scratches can be re-burnished out with a little more oil and 0000 steel wool.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts