Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

It's always nice to know what the rough base price is for a given consumer product: I've been looking at slingshot options at Alibaba (China), which caters more for large volume purchases.

Two examples of slingshots, which sell for anywhere between USD 20 - 30 at Aliexpress can be obtained for a far lower price when purchased in bulk (between 5 or 10 units minimum). This could be interesting if several people get together for this purpose in a specific region.

At the very least, it's useful to get an idea of what price of certain slingshot designs is actually best value for money when buying at online sellers: some are clearly overpriced.

Two examples: The so-called Gonchi brand "Zhuilong" 440 stainless steel slingshot, and the Shaobo brand "Tianpeng" 304 stainless steel slingshot. The bulk price of 5 to 9 units for the "Zhuilong" is US$ 5.70 (unit price of US$ 17.50 at Piao Yu), whereas the bulk price for the "Tianpeng" is US$ 15 for 15 to 49 units (unit price of between US$ 22 and 28 at Aliexpress).

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/hot-sale-stainless-steel-hunting-slingshotChinese_62238550049.html?spm=a2700.icbuShop.41413.24.56a15f1a5Qw7YA

and

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Stainless-steel-hunting-slingshot-precision-slingshot_62198038154.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.195.5fd5f5d6nVUOjm

Both models are distributed (manufactured?) by:

Qingdao Shaobo Superfiber Products Co., Ltd.
Manufacturer, Trading Company

Place of Origin:

Shandong, China

Interesting information for comparison sake.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
A Group buy would be fun! Maybe a little challenging logistically.

Mark
By the time people are done paying for shipping to get them to everyone it's usually not worth the initial savings. It's been my experience, both personally and observational, that people usually spend more scooping up several cheap frames instead of just saving and buying a decent one in the first place. Lots of great vendors here as well as the classifieds to get you going in the right direction with a good frame. Just my $0.02 and your mileage may vary!

·
Registered
125 Posts

Mark
By the time people are done paying for shipping to get them to everyone it's usually not worth the initial savings. It's been my experience, both personally and observational, that people usually spend more scooping up several cheap frames instead of just saving and buying a decent one in the first place. Lots of great vendors here as well as the classifieds to get you going in the right direction with a good frame. Just my $0.02 and your mileage may vary!
True, but the acquisition sickness usually overrides common sense. It's like spending $200 for tools and supplies to make a couple frames. It's the adventure and largely fueled by the acquisition sickness. I think, anyway.

Mark

·
Registered
3,068 Posts

Mark
True, but the acquisition sickness usually overrides common sense. It's like spending $200 for tools and supplies to make a couple frames. It's the adventure and largely fueled by the acquisition sickness. I think, anyway.

Mark
You are absolutely correct! I am as guilty as they come when it comes to acquisition sickness. I just wish I would have followed my own advice earlier along my journey and try to steer people in the right direction. I couldn't afford a custom when I started so bought a bunch cheapo's to fill the void. When I look back on what I spent on them, I want to kick myself!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Guys , I like saving money and buying cheap as well as the next guy BUT , We can't forget that our local people need to eat also. They are the ones that make the vids. They are the first to help iron out a problem ,not china. Maybe I'm just getting tooooo old and not modern thinking.It's also my thought the locals are what made use today. Like they been preaching, "buy at home , it stays at home".

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is nothing wrong with buying local to support people in this business (and other businesses) at home. I try to do this myself.

As we do not have much in the way of serious slingshot manufacturers in Europe, and that the Chinese slingshots are very good when one looks at the right sources, and are shipped free of charge (international postal regulations), the choice for the average European slingshot enthusiast is quickly made.

Some of the American made slingshots are very good too when made of noble materials (wood and/or metal), but shipping costs to Europe can be quite expensive indeed.

Ultimately, it is the personal budget that decides where something is purchased.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts