Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I cut my mxred Moose yesterday and shot with it a bit before finishing it out. It shoots sooo good! Very consistent and easy to aim plus very comfortable. Probably my new favorite slingshot. Here's what it looked like in the buff:
Musical instrument Natural material String instrument String instrument accessory Wood

It's cut from my favorite salvaged coffee table oak. I didn't do as much handle grooving as Chuck and MidniteMaurader did, mostly because it's my habit to not do much more shaping than is necessary for good shooting. I was on the fence about how to finish it. I've painted my last couple because 1. there are so many great finished wood slingshots out there already and 2. it seems to improve the apperance of my lackluster carving. I looked through the paints I had on hand and settled on Krylon Gloss burgandy.
Textile Bicycle part Font Wood Electric blue

I like the finished product. I was initally worried because when I sprayed this on it was really purple. It settled down into a nice mellow maroon. It has my favorite tapered 107 bands with a Gary "Flatband" Miller formed pouch. The bands are wrapped around the outside of the forks because that's the way Bill Hayes does it and that's good enough for me
. I've tried both ways of TTF band routing and this works best for me. I was having some issues with the bands coming out of the slots so I added a small groove around the tops of the forks for a rubber band. I took a #32 band and cut it into two pieces, both with a knot on the end. I push one knotted end into one slot and wrap the band through the slots, pulling it down into the shooting band (sorry if this isn't coming out clear!) and tuck the other knot into a slot when you reach the end. This fills up the slots and keeps the band in place. I'm sure a narrower slot would work too, but all I have for cutting is a handheld jigsaw and my thinnest blade was still just a touch too wide.
Hope you guys like it. I know my stuff is unconventional and not to everyone's taste, but it seems like there's room for all kinds of approaches to slingshot making here

Attachments

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
It's cool, I like the lanyard also, nice touch.
Philly

·
Registered
733 Posts
Nice Job MJ. You really did great cutting out the profile. I like the paint, it is different, and different is always good. The lanyard is cool, I have to learn how to do that type of braiding. I see what you mean now about the keeper bands, that should do the trick. I am happy to hear you like the way it shoots. It is one of my favorite shooters.

Are you getting buried in snow tonight like us in Illinois?

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice Job MJ. You really did great cutting out the profile. I like the paint, it is different, and different is always good. The lanyard is cool, I have to learn how to do that type of braiding. I see what you mean now about the keeper bands, that should do the trick. I am happy to hear you like the way it shoots. It is one of my favorite shooters.

Are you getting buried in snow tonight like us in Illinois?
Yeah, it's like a snow hurricane outside!

·
Registered
733 Posts
We just got dug out (around 2:00). We went out in my wife's AWD RAV 4, she wanted the paper. The roads were still terrible, and no paper! Apparently the delivery never made it to the store.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.