Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many of you are in the UK so thought this a good place to chat.

As many of you know the culter in the UK is so bad that kids are carrying knifes for protection, stabbings have gone through the roof. It is so bad, carrying a knofe gets you in serious trouble.

So to my point, many years ago I collected knifes and blades from all over the world, I had some very exotic items in my collection and bought some Butterfly knifes.

I used to enjoy learning new moves with them and became pretty proficient with them.

Now moving on, years ago my first wife and I split, she told me she had binned the collection, I later found out, she sold the vast majority of them.

I have a small collection now but nowhere near the quality or amount I had.

I would love to get a new Butterfly Knife here in the UK but all we can get are the blunt edge practice ones.

I appreciate weknned laws to protect the public.

But as the saying goes, Knives don't kill, people kill people

Rant over..

·
Registered
772 Posts
Hey dude I feel you're pain!!! I'm in Bonnybridge in Scotland. Like yourself I had quite a collection many years ago and i left home and joined the army when I was 18, (32 now) at the time they were doing the first 'hand in you're blades' campaign because of all the stabbings and I found out ma mam went down to the local police station and handed in my whole knife collection!!! Well I wasn't a happy bunny to say the least! I've been slowly clawing back a collection since then and I'm the same, I'd love a few bilsongs and automatic knifes, I used to own an original nato auto knife and that went down the nick aswell... i wouldnt take the chance on anything automatic but ive been toying with the idea of a butterfly knife amd playing dumb if any questions were asked have you thought about ordering any? I've also messaged a few sellers on ali express and there more than happy to send the full sharpened versions but I haven't taken that leap yet haha

Thoughts?

Craig

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
UKp - thats the sort of thing my mom would do.

UK law is a little ridiculous. NY managed to deal with the stabbing issue with proper police work. I do get that offensive weapons would always be an issue but locking blades and lengths towards 4" are the norm. I am lucky - at the moment I can carry whatever I like - I can het Butterfly knives quite easily and even have them delivered to my door :)

I'd probably not risk getting one posted over. You'd be better getting someone to buy where its legal and have it brought over to the UK in a suitcase. If you know any South African's around nearby - hit them up :) Sure they'd help you out.

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
Its an illogical law though. Most stabbings in the UK are done with large chef's knives guys can simply get out of their moms kitchen.

All knives bought online have to be delivered to your work address - public carry: no knives over 90mm - no locking knives - no fixed blades. Anything you do carry thats outside these parameters you have to proof of use at that time (just bought in a store, used for work and your either on your way to or returning from, or use for sport and you're on your way to or from using that, and in that case things like swords need to be covered at all times).

I know guys who did fencing who gave it up as they were tired of being constantly harassed by the police.

Ironically its fairly easy to get a fixed blade knife designed only for offence. You just can't carry it in public. Why butterfly knives etc. are almost impossible to get is actually surprising.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All the replysare 100% spot on and it jusy does not make sense to ban the carrying, the latest buzz is "carry a knife, you get life" notice I said carry and not use.

We need to change the culter that carrys a blade rather than ban the blade, you will never stamp it out.

PS small world, I am in Falkirk

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
Its always the person - never the knife. And you can get one anywhere if you wanted. My wife was witness to a knife 'attack' (no one was actually stabbed) at the Birmingham station - involved a 9" chef knife guy had in a sheath under his jacket.

Also from footage I've seen the guys seem to carrying heavy - they really should give folders a break :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
UKp - thats the sort of thing my mom would do.

UK law is a little ridiculous. NY managed to deal with the stabbing issue with proper police work. I do get that offensive weapons would always be an issue but locking blades and lengths towards 4" are the norm. I am lucky - at the moment I can carry whatever I like - I can het Butterfly knives quite easily and even have them delivered to my door :)
Minor bone to pick: NY didn't deal with the issue, they're still passing inane laws. They just passed a machete ban for example. This sounds reasonable, what would you need a machete for anyway, until you think about it a bit and realize that they're A) a very simple easy tool to make so prohibiting them won't stop anyone and B) Some people, you know, have gardens and need tools including machetes to care for them. Sheesh.

I would like to thank all you guys over in the UK though for demonstrating to the world that there really is no end to it. First they take the scary guns, then all the guns, then the airguns, airsoft guns, pocket knives, kitchen knives..... pretty soon you'll have to surrender all your non-regulation forks for being too pointy. Thanks for taking one for the team. :(

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
The difference is NY went from the stabbing capital of the world to not being - London on the other hand went the opposite way. NY police targeted people they felt 'looked' problematic and frisked them all. The UK is to scared of the politics involved so simply ban knife carry and try limit access to purchasing. Which is obviously daft as knives are an everyday implement.

Take away machete's but allow people to have access to cars, alcohol and cigarettes... What people do to make a point :)

The UK and its laws is ridiculous - archery hunting being 'killed' due to the fact the pro-speaker was in the loo when the case was called - no-one has even tried overturning it. The Brits can moan but they don't act very easily against legislation. Which is a sad thing. The law implies that the average individual is basically incapable, so needs to be treated with kid gloves - result is a nation that acts like kids. Coming from a 'if you dumb enough then suffer the consequences' type country its a large culture shock at how nannied they are. Not that you can ever say that out loud.

The MAIN issue is that community and common (decency) values need to be addressed. We live in a world where people lack whats required to treat other people with respect and a level of humanity (think the modern lifestyle leaves much to be concerned about). Hence is the result of school shootings in the US (bullied kids getting some serious pay back) - gang stabbings in London... Rant ended :)

Don't forget they'd need to surrender - pencils, ball point pens, broken bottles, safety pins and pretty much anything that could be used to draw blood.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The difference is NY went from the stabbing capital of the world to not being - London on the other hand went the opposite way. NY police targeted people they felt 'looked' problematic and frisked them all. The UK is to scared of the politics involved so simply ban knife carry and try limit access to purchasing. Which is obviously daft as knives are an everyday implement.

Take away machete's but allow people to have access to cars, alcohol and cigarettes... What people do to make a point :)

The UK and its laws is ridiculous - archery hunting being 'killed' due to the fact the pro-speaker was in the loo when the case was called - no-one has even tried overturning it. The Brits can moan but they don't act very easily against legislation. Which is a sad thing. The law implies that the average individual is basically incapable, so needs to be treated with kid gloves - result is a nation that acts like kids. Coming from a 'if you dumb enough then suffer the consequences' type country its a large culture shock at how nannied they are. Not that you can ever say that out loud.

The MAIN issue is that community and common (decency) values need to be addressed. We live in a world where people lack whats required to treat other people with respect and a level of humanity (think the modern lifestyle leaves much to be concerned about). Hence is the result of school shootings in the US (bullied kids getting some serious pay back) - gang stabbings in London... Rant ended :)

Don't forget they'd need to surrender - pencils, ball point pens, broken bottles, safety pins and pretty much anything that could be used to draw blood.
Very well put sir.

The UK is no longer a Country in its own right, Schools and local councils no longer put up Christmas trees and greeting for fear it offends.

We need to crack down on Drink and drug driving, they ccausefar more deaths a year than any other weapon in the UK

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
I am not making light of anyone's situation.

But for fun and honing your skills.... I recieved one of these as a gift from a Russian martial arts friend. I would have just shown a pic of mine, but I cannot remember whwre I put it for some reason.

Attachments

Reactions: roirizla

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts

Speaking to common decency and values, if you live in a society where people are armed (to some or any degree), people are more likely to be respectful of one another for fear of injury. I recall reading a statistic that showed the vast percentage of home burglaries in the US occurred while the occupants are gone, whereas in the UK about 50% occurred while the residents were home (often resulting in injury to the resident).

I do have a bit of a knife habit, and have seen some pretty awesome friction folder knives that were born out of the laws in the UK though! Always a silver lining I guess...

Reactions: mattwalt

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have to love the Uk..I have lost so many past times due to law changes.
pistol shooting.
working dogs to hare and fox.
6 shot auto shotguns.
bow hunting..which is ridiculous considering the story of the welsh longbow in our history.

as for butterfly knives make your own....

·
Registered
539 Posts

They still do. It is called racial profiling. They make extensive use of it, and that combined with gentrification and increased living costs driving out a lot of poverty, it is working. The economic factors I would argue were more significant in its success than the policing. These days most of the criminals who can afford to live in NYC work at banks. Hyperbole, but you see what I'm getting at. St Louis, Detroit, and Baltimore all tried similar strategies to New York, this was around the time the concept of "policing by statistics" came into play. You'll note they were wildly less successful in their efforts. Other elements of this stop-and-frisk policing also killed a lot of people, but indirectly, by generating the AIDs epidemic. How you might ask? Carrying a spike (syringe) became a crime. Sounds great on paper until you see the effect: now criminals (drug users) don't carry their own syringe, they "rent" one from the establishment where they shoot up. These fine upstanding establishments as you might imagine don't properly dispose of their needles, instead "recycling" them which is the first of two prongs that spun the AIDs epidemic out of control. There is another dark side to all this, which is that the police have been incentivized to generate better numbers year by year. For the first few years this works, but at some point it becomes increasingly difficult so you start seeing crimes mysteriously going unreported or crimes being categorized downward intentionally to improve statistics. Rapes being reported as sexual assaults for example. So yeah, having lived in New England through a lot of this, I take some issue with the classification of NYC's policing strategy as a wild success. The model was widely used and abused, the levels of success it generated have varied greatly, and a lot of the improvement in New York can be attributed to economic factors. New York today is a human zoo where you have no space, no privacy, no right to self defense, and still plenty of personal peril. *shrug*

My 2c.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The UK govornment doesn't make laws to protect the public, they do it so they look like they are doing something - and it is cheap.

Even a halfwit can figure out that a police force that cannot enforce the existing (perfectly adequate) laws needs more manpower, not more legislation.

As for outlawing the posting of knives, which is likely to become law soon, what difference will that make when every kitchen has a drawer full of knives almost perfectly suited to injuring someone.

I have been making knives for a few years, they are designed to be safe and legal. Not sure I will be doing it much longer.

Will have to make some slingshots - until they get banned.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts