Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
I am still trying to learn butterfly shooting. I think small fork and point-and-shoot is how this should be done. dgui's advise on tilting the fork toward target is helpful too for me. I use Skit Slunga's little mini skitty and the black thera he sent me. At first I was having nightmares with bands breaking at the pouch after 20 shots or less! (I think maybe I was stretching the bands too much on the tie.) I am now using the Texas method and have shot these many times with no noticeable wear.
Because of the easy draw, I am holding this small fork with my thumb at the base of the fork. First I pull back to my ear and locate the target at the fork tip; then I pull back far and let it go.
I'm starting to hit the cans now.
Speed is impressive. Power isn't. Barely dents steel cans at 10 yards.

Here's the portrait of my setup (all credit to Skit Slunga)

Specs:

My only contribution:

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
Nice DH!!!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Boy those butterflies must be pretty dangerous in your neck of the woods, I've never seen the need to shoot them...

I bet it takes quite a few for a good meal too. Good luck learning to shoot the little buggers

·
Resigned
5,547 Posts
That is one sweet looking shooter and attachment you have going. There is nothing like Butterfly shooting I dont vary much from that style. It seems once you are proficient enough with it, it becomes a part of you. Grace, power, style and accuracy is Butterfly shooting. Since I have been doing Butterfly shooting I find that I can also do the instantanious release with assurance it will meet its mark. I know im beating a dead horse but try the tex express bands one on each fork these babies are very fast and stable and I bind mine so that I have a 9 1/2 inch between the pouch and fork and I stretch it out to 58 inches and they endure very well for me. The more you do it the more you want to. Im completly hooked.

·
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, I went out and shot for another hour and now I take back my original judgment about power. I was able to draw farther back after a while and was very impressed that the 3/8 steel balls were now puncturing a steel tomato can. That's impressive when you are only supporting the frame with 3 fingers.

I wanted to make a video, so I asked my wife who tried about 5 times and just couldn't get it right. Each time I tried to just get her to record 3 shots and then stop the camera. Every time except the one below, I hit the can once. By this time I was (we were) so frustrated I just called it quits.

But I'll show it anyway. Three misses:

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
Hey Bill try turning your hand palm up and extending even further back. Doing this really supercharges the power!!!! BTW if you haven't seen my post yet "Christmas In August" that little jewel you sent me really made my day and is an EXCELLENT butterfly style shooter!!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!

·
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Perry. I'll try that tomorrow.
BTW, hadn't seen that other thread. Thanks for posting, nice pics. Hope you shoot well with her.

·
Resigned
5,547 Posts
Okay, I went out and shot for another hour and now I take back my original judgment about power. I was able to draw farther back after a while and was very impressed that the 3/8 steel balls were now puncturing a steel tomato can. That's impressive when you are only supporting the frame with 3 fingers.

I wanted to make a video, so I asked my wife who tried about 5 times and just couldn't get it right. Each time I tried to just get her to record 3 shots and then stop the camera. Every time except the one below, I hit the can once. By this time I was (we were) so frustrated I just called it quits.

But I'll show it anyway. Three misses:

It is difficult to see how your holding your shooter so I will post 3 pics and offer this as one possibility to try. The first two pics are 90 degree holds which are traditional the third pic is how I prefer to point with my shooter as the projectile might avoid the forks altogether.

Attachments

·
Resigned
5,547 Posts
yup, I do point the tips forward about 15 degrees or so. I learned about this from you, Dgui.
Then might I suggest Natural Latex Flatbands from Tex. Only one express band on each fork and you wont have to use a string extension cause they stretch good and plenty and they produce a stable shot release and then you will pound the pudin out of anything you want to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.