Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
I am still trying to learn butterfly shooting. I think small fork and point-and-shoot is how this should be done. dgui's advise on tilting the fork toward target is helpful too for me. I use Skit Slunga's little mini skitty and the black thera he sent me. At first I was having nightmares with bands breaking at the pouch after 20 shots or less! (I think maybe I was stretching the bands too much on the tie.) I am now using the Texas method and have shot these many times with no noticeable wear.
Because of the easy draw, I am holding this small fork with my thumb at the base of the fork. First I pull back to my ear and locate the target at the fork tip; then I pull back far and let it go.
I'm starting to hit the cans now.
Speed is impressive. Power isn't. Barely dents steel cans at 10 yards.

Here's the portrait of my setup (all credit to Skit Slunga)

Specs:

My only contribution:

·
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, I went out and shot for another hour and now I take back my original judgment about power. I was able to draw farther back after a while and was very impressed that the 3/8 steel balls were now puncturing a steel tomato can. That's impressive when you are only supporting the frame with 3 fingers.

I wanted to make a video, so I asked my wife who tried about 5 times and just couldn't get it right. Each time I tried to just get her to record 3 shots and then stop the camera. Every time except the one below, I hit the can once. By this time I was (we were) so frustrated I just called it quits.

But I'll show it anyway. Three misses:

·
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Perry. I'll try that tomorrow.
BTW, hadn't seen that other thread. Thanks for posting, nice pics. Hope you shoot well with her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.