Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
Superglue - Its pretty nasty to work with and the fumes can be unpleasant (I managed to literally strip the lining in my nose with the stuff - but that was a huge quantity) so use in a well ventilated area. Also you will literally be able to glue yourself to the piece :) It sets in CO2 if I remember.

It does create a nice strong finish though - and it actually penetrates into the wood fibres a mm or so so has a slight stabilisation property.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank You All,very informative and an interesting idea,i will definatly try this out.

·
Mojave Mo
5,181 Posts
Also! I am not sure if the 'fumes' are not SuperGlue Gas! Actually, scientifically it is gas. I have had the fumes creep up under my glasses and fog my eyeball a couple of times. Blinking a few times will clear it up but it is still a little freaky. I like the SuperGlue finish when somebody else does it! I admit I am still practicing with it. Watch the SimpleShot video. That not only made me better at using CA, I sent back and redid something I screwed up not using the correct techniques.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I like CA finish a lot, but every attempt to do it, failed. I've watched Nathan's video, but I still didn't make it. I think I fail at it during sanding.

·
Mojave Mo
5,181 Posts
I just finished dealing with a finish. From now on and forever the product once called Super glue, then C.A., will now be known as SATAN'S SNOT.

Today I envy any human who can build a sling machine with a coat hanger and a rubber band in under 5 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Here is an outline of the process I have found most expedient in applying CA. I shared this with some friends. I would like to do a video but Having trouble making time for it.

I have found the best way I can come up with to apply the ca. I have one of the empty 4 oz ca containers cut in half lengthwise and tilted. I pour a good bit in the down side end and while wearing nitrile gloves, dip the flat part of the finger tip (more or less finger surface depending on the surface it is applied to) into the glue and spread it down the edge, one portion of the edge as reachable so as not put the holding hand fingers into the wet glue.

On the flat surface, dip and start on the outer edge of the fork moving back and forth heading towards the fork yoke. I try not to go back into the applied finsh, just let it lay heavy, unless there is an obvious need to. It is all about build up and sanding off. Then the other fork to the yoke. I like to pull a bit down to the waist as I go. Flip do the other side forks. Repeat and repeat and repeat until good build up. Once the forks are dry to handle do similar to the handle.

I usually apply at least 6 coats before thinking of sanding.

Sanding CA; The padded sandpaper is awesome I bought the Norton, "Soft touch" sanding pads. I don't wear through like I did with paperbacked sand paper. 320/400, 500/600, 800/1000 1200/1500 then rouge and buffing wheel. I like to lay a whole pad on a flat surface and rub the flat part of the SS on it to begin flattening the surface. Then with a smaller piece that is 1/6 of a whole piece, do the edges in grit sequence according to grit need.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I like CA finish a lot, but every attempt to do it, failed. I've watched Nathan's video, but I still didn't make it. I think I fail at it during sanding.
Skropi I just give it a 320 dry sand than run it up to2000 wet if u try to keep your coats even u should not have to sand to hard going up the grits and make sure u put on 7 or 8 layers.remember it does not have to be 100% perfect if u have low spots stop sanding and build it back up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts