Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a lot of folks ask me how we get the CA finish so shiny, deep and clear. It is simply patience, practice, and the willingness to commit to the process.

I have created a tutorial on how we do the CA finish on FlippinOut Slingshots and you will see that it is not difficult, just time consuming and tedious.

Enjoy

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Love The crows in the background! -- Tex

·
Registered
86 Posts
That is a great video, plenty of detail and explanations of the why and how. Thanks very much, it will be very useful to many members.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
Thank you for posting Nathan! Feel free to do more tutorials!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keep it up and you'll have yourself a genuine HRAWK slingshot!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Nathan, great tutorial! Easy to follow instructions. Great tips and advice.

I followed your instruction and completed the process on my Rhododendron Straight Wrist natural.

I've posted a new picture on my NC RHODO Build log. I believe that I got great results following your instructions

Thanks

Bill

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
Good video Nathan.
It's my choice for tutorial winner.

People have asked why so many of the jeans I wear on video have a hole in the right thigh.... now you know! I hold the work piece I'm sanding or working right there and the jeans just wear out at that spot... My Wife has told me numerous times to throw and old towel or piece of leather on there to pad... I seem to always forget when in the creative mood. So I've got like 10 pairs of right thigh worn jeans!

·
Super Moderator
6,607 Posts
Wonderful job Nathan! Excellent video and "How To" on the tough and very time consuming "CA" finish. Flatband

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
Great tutorial, I just completed my first CA finish with the assistance of this video. Man, was that a lot of work! Absolutely stunning finish though, you get out what you put in.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Great tutorial, I just completed my first CA finish with the assistance of this video. Man, was that a lot of work! Absolutely stunning finish though, you get out what you put in.
Do we get to see it or is receiver posting pics?
can't wait to see that!

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
Do we get to see it or is receiver posting pics?
can't wait to see that!
[/quote]I just sent it off to its new home today, I am itching to post some pics, but must wait until it arrives. I wouldn't want to spoil the new owners surprise.

...more on topic with this thread though, It seemed to me as I finished the 600grit wet sand that there was still a nice haze to the finish. Not scratched or anything, more like an eggshell kinda sheen. Was this the intended result with the process? It was beautiful, and classy, but this being my first go with CA I just wanted to see how far I could push it. I wet sanded all the way out through 2500, hit it with a quick/light buff, and the thing shines like glass. I think the eggshell kinda result would seem more appropriate on most slingshots, I was just curious if this was the intention.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i will add

i suggest cleaning the piece your covering with acetone prior to applying the glue. it cleans up oils or other contaminants that will turn the glue cloudy. you can also use acetone after you apply the glue to even it out after the first coat.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts